Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
ENJOY
:read
  • Author
Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:32 pm

'The Proposition' (A Bundy Quicksilver Mystery) - Page 80:

Success drew on success with callers telephoned from Tweed Heads in the south to Cape York in the north of the State. After the official launch, Bundy was buggered and needed a rest.
He didn’t realise at the time but the electronic node in his heart slowly degenerated over time which almost caused him to pass away in his sleep. If it wasn’t for Ada who demanded he visited a doctor he wouldn’t be around to enjoy the rest of his life. He would have passed away in his sleep that night if he hadn’t done what she asked.
After a pacemaker implantation it was the end of the road as a police officer and he retired on medical grounds. That was twenty-one years before.
His mind returned to the present. How lucky was he to have a wife like Ada who’d saved his life on more than one occasion through their marriage. First in 1977 when she demanded he do something about his drinking alcohol; and then thirteen years later to visit a doctor to save his life. He was indeed a lucky person to have had her.
Kate walked to where Bundy was standing, ‘what’re you dreaming about now?’ She asked in a soft and inviting voice.
‘Ah, just a few things from my past life, how are things going here?’
‘Larry is about to tell us in a couple of minutes. Doctor Fitzgerald has completed his elementary examination and will inform us of his findings.’
‘Come over here – you two, we’re about to hear from the pathologist about his findings.’ Larry signalled Bundy and Kate to within hearing of Doctor Fitzgerald.
‘I’ve had a quick examination of the skeleton and have determined it is a female child between eight and ten years of age. From the appearance of the skeleton – I’d say she’s been here between five to eight years. I’ll arrange the

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 2
dub, mzawf
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 2032 times

Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:54 pm

'The Proposition' (A Bundy Quicksilver Mystery) - Page 81:

skeleton be removed to the city morgue for further examination.’ He concluded his summary and left.
‘Bloody hell – a female child, well, it eliminates Peter Clayton. Bundy, we’d better inform Mary of the find.’ Kate explained. ‘Thanks Larry, we’ll leave you; and continue on with trying to find Peter.’
‘Everything’s alright for you Kate, we’ve got another murder on our hands by the looks of this.’ Larry farewelled Bundy and Kate, ‘keep in-touch just in case there’s more to this.’ Larry returned to the crime scene.
Mary was relieved after Kate informed the skeleton wasn’t her son Peter. Kate and Bundy returned to their office.
‘What do we do now?’ Kate asked after she sat in a chair behind her computer. She felt sick in her stomach and somewhat deflated to think the skeleton wasn’t Peter. She had been so certain it was Peter and wished it had been.
‘I know its tough Kate, but this is a red herring and we’ve got to get on with the next stage of what we were going to do.’ Bundy explained.
‘You’re still not going on about the bloody family tree and the rubbish about finding what Quincy said – are you, its dribble Bundy, complete dribble!’ Her voice raised, her hands trembled and she looked as though she was going to break down and cry.
‘Kate.’ Bundy looked directly into her eyes, ‘what about we have the rest of the day off. You look bushed. Go home and we’ll look with fresh eyes tomorrow.’ Bundy placed his hands on her shoulder. He felt Kate quiver beneath his hands. He began to worry.
‘I need a good night’s sleep.’ Kate gathered her belongings and bid Bundy farewell and left the office.
Later that night Bundy sat in his lounge chair at home contemplating his next move when the telephone

dub, mzawf
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:16 pm

'The Proposition' (A Bundy Quicksilver Mystery) - Page 82:

rang, it could be Kate, he thought when picking up the receiver.
‘Hi there Kate, I knew you wouldn’t take long to phone, how’re you feeling?’
‘Who’s Kate?’ a male voice echoed.
‘Who’s this?’ Bundy replied.
‘Colin Hunt – you remember me Bundy. We were in the police together.’ The voice answered.
Bundy remembered the name well, Colin Hunt, what would he want? How did he find him? Colin was a detective when Bundy worked in the force. Colin’s reputation always went before him and trouble wasn’t far behind. He always wanted to be in the limelight like a beacon shining brightly so everyone would take notice of him. Not everyone did.
‘Colin – it’s been years. How can I help you?’ Bundy stuttered, thoughts running through his mind of ‘why’ Colin would phone him at this time of night.
‘What no – how do you do or how’re you going? How did you find me? I know we weren’t the best of mates but I always respected you and the work you did.’
‘Sorry mate – it’s been a long couple of days. How are you going? And yes, how did you find me?’ Bundy stated.
‘Great – it wasn’t hard with technology being the way it is today. I goggled your name and used white pages and presto, there you were on the Sunshine Coast in the Mary Valley. In fact I’m not in the force, or the service, they call it today. I’m a parole officer with Corrective Services. I saw your ugly dial on television today where they found the skeleton in the bush. I’ve got some information which might help you or whoever you’re working with.’
Bundy felt a shudder go through his bones. Colin had never changed, he remembered bumping into him in a

dub, mzawf
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:28 pm

'The Proposition' (A Bundy Quicksilver Mystery) - Page 83:

hallway in Police Headquarters one day and he told him a similar story. He always had a story to tell.
‘Why phone me about it – there are active police out there. What about the Homicide Squad.’ Bundy told his caller.
‘I tried to mate – no one will listen to me. It’s the reason I phoned you.’ He began to plead with Bundy to take notice of what he wanted to tell him.
‘I’m not working on the investigation. You’re not calling wolf again, are you?’
‘No – this is important. Just listen – this afternoon, I was approached by an in-mate at the prison and asked if they told me something important, would they receive an early release. It was information about the skeleton found in the forestry. Of course I said I’d think about it. A prisoner, who’s due to be released in a couple of days, told this in-mate he’d grabbed a young girl, killed her and left her in a shallow grave in a forestry.’
‘Are you serious? Aren’t it strange how this skeleton has been discovered only today and this in-mate came forth with this information? What do you want me to do?’ Bundy requested.
‘You’ve got to help me mate, this fellow is being released in a couple of days and once he’s out – he’s gone.’ Colin pleaded.
‘How reliable is this information?’ Bundy wanted to know.
‘Pretty reliable – I’ve checked it out and he’s been in prison for the past couple of years for child molestation. It could be him?’ His voice sounded sincere and truthful.
‘Alright, give me your contact details and I’ll get back to you tomorrow.’ He gave Bundy the details he asked and hung up the phone.
His mind raced at a thousand miles an hour, and decided to telephone Kate and relate the information to her.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
mzawf
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:01 pm

'The Proposition' (A Bundy Quicksilver Mystery) - Page 84:

‘Sorry Kate for phoning you this late – Bundy here.’ He said into the mouth piece.
‘Ah – Bundy, what’d you doing ringing me at this time of night. I was fast asleep. What’d you want?’ Wiping the sleep from her eyes and trying to wake.
‘I’ve got to talk with you.’
‘Alright, I’m awake – talk.’
‘A fellow I used to work with in the force years ago rang me about information which could help find the killer of the skeleton.’ Bundy explained.
‘What! You’ve woken me at this time of night to tell me about information. Wait a minute; I’ve got to go for a pee before I wet myself. Hang on?’
‘Yeah – go and do your lady thing. I’ll wait.’ Bundy imagined Kate putting the telephone down; rushing off to the toilet. He heard background noise of the toilet flush and knew she finished what she was doing.
‘I’m back – ah, that feels better. Now what’s this you want to tell me?’ She asked in a much kinder voice.
‘I received a telephone call from a fellow I used to work with in the force. His name is Colin Hunt. He’s a parole officer with Corrective Services and has been told by an in-mate they know the identity of the person who could be the killer of the skeleton found at the forestry.’ Bundy explained hoping Kate understood.
‘Is that so, one of your ole mates, hey, what do you think?’ She was now wide awake and pleased to listen to his story.
‘I know it’s late and you are tied but unless I’d spoken with you about it tonight, I wouldn’t have slept.’
‘That makes two of us. Why couldn’t this wait until the morning?’
‘Because Colin told me this fellow is being released from prison in the next couple of days and if we don’t

mzawf
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:42 pm

'The Proposition' (A Bundy Quicksilver Mystery) - Page 85:

move on it straight away, he’d be gone as soon as he’s released.’
‘Alright then, what have we got – the word of a inmate? Is there any other evidence to tie this fellow to the skeleton?’
‘Not at this stage – he’s a convicted child molester. Is all we have?’
‘So the reason you woke me from my beauty sleep was to tell me virtually nothing.’ She sounded arrogant and upset. Bundy at that moment realised why the Commissioner wanted him to work on this investigation. He was right; the detective of today couldn’t give a damn about follow-up information whether it was in the middle of the night or another time. If they didn’t have DNA evidence or the investigation handed to them on a silver plate, they tossed the information aside. It’s no wonder crime wasn’t being cleared up. His memory returned when he’d get out of his warm bed anytime to follow up on information.
‘Sorry Kate, I’ll see you in the morning.’ He clicked the off button and the telephone went dead.
Bundy couldn’t sleep the remainder of the night. He saw in his mind’s eye the track which should be taken to follow-up this information. First, he would contact Colin in the morning as soon as he arrived at the office. He would take over the investigation. He felt frustrated at Kate’s attitude and non-interest of searching for evidence to support this investigation. No wonder she’d taken eight bloody years to investigate the disappearance of Peter Clayton.
Never before had he arrived at the office so early and to his surprise found Kate sitting behind her computer rattling the keys, ‘you’re early, didn’t you sleep either?’ Kate proclaimed when Bundy entered the office.

mzawf
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:14 pm

'The Proposition' (A Bundy Quicksilver Mystery) - Page 86:

‘I’m surprised to see you. I thought you were getting your beauty sleep.’ He replied sarcastically.
‘Unfortunately I don’t need it. I’m beautiful as it is, and what you see is what you get. Now let’s get to work. I’ve searched our database about your parole officer and yes, he was quite a detective in his day. Not much to go on. How come he telephoned you?’
‘I asked the same question. He’d been flogged off by the detectives he spoke with and happened to see my ugly dial on the television and recognized me.’ Bundy explained.
‘We’d better contact Larry and get him up-to-speed with this information.’ Kate telephoned Larry.
‘Larry, Kate Emerson here, we have information which could help your investigation. Where are you now?’ She asked in an earnest voice.
‘Here in my office on the tenth floor. Come on up, I’ll put the coffee on.’ Larry remarked.
‘We’re on our way.’ Kate said and shut off the call. ‘Come on Bundy, you can explain everything to Larry. He’s waiting.’
They arrived at Larry’s office, he shook hands with both, ‘have a seat, what will you have?’ He asked.
‘Bundy will have hot chocolate and I’ll have a flat white coffee.’ Kate told Larry.
‘Hot chocolate ah – haven’t you been weaned Bundy.’ Larry commenced making the drinks, ‘will that be with milk.’ His words sounded almost genuine.
‘Milk and no sugar – thanks Larry,’ Bundy explained.
‘Now what is it you want to tell me?’ Larry resumed his seat behind his desk and waited for their reply.
‘You tell him Bundy. It’s better coming from you.’ Kate explained.

mzawf
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter