Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
ENJOY
:read
  • Author
Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:42 pm

'The Proposition' - Page 49:
‘Wait a minute.’ She called, ‘what’s this in aid of.’ Kate asked. She smelt the aroma of the coffee and freshly cooked toast and to be given it in bed was something special.
‘I used to make coffee and toast for my wife, old habits die hard.’ Bundy whispered loud enough for Kate to hear before he left the bedroom.
‘Thank you, Bundy. Your wife was spoilt.’ She enjoyed her first coffee and thoroughly enjoyed the toast. Sitting upright in bed, with the curtains pulled back, window open, morning cool breeze flowing into her bedroom. She looked and saw the miniature horses grazing in the early morning; birds singing and a kookaburra 'laughing, could she have died and gone to heaven?
By the time Kate rose Bundy finished breakfast; tidied the kitchen and lounge room. His daily chore to sweep the kitchen floor, vacuum the carpet in the lounge and make his bed after putting the washing on. Dressed in casual clothes he asked Kate if she wanted a second cup of coffee to which she replied she did. ‘And another piece of delicious toast, thanks Bundy.’ She finished.
After making the coffee and toast they adjourned to the front veranda to listen to the early morning call of the kookaburra and magpie call to their mates. Kangaroos ate leisurely on the front lawn not bothered to look up when Kate and Bundy resumed their places on the veranda.
‘No wonder you love living here, wildlife at your front door, birds singing, fresh air, no traffic and this wonderland.’ She swept her hand across the front of herself, stretched wide to describe the property.
‘It’s not bad – is it?’ Bundy finished. ‘Kate, you know we’re looking for a needle in a haystack – don’t you.’
‘Yeah – I know.’ She sounded despondent, ‘I’ve been working for eight years on trying to find this needle and I feel I’m no closed now than when I started. I read one time you never gave up until you found what you were after. Is that true?’ Kate asked in a sincere voice...

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 2
mzawf, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 2032 times

Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:50 pm

'The Proposition' - Page 50:
‘You could say that. One time I was working on a case and another detective told me he’d hate to be chased by me because I was like a tap dripping on a large rock. Eventually the drip would wear away the rock. At the time I didn’t understand what he meant?’
‘Well, he meant when you are onto something – you never give up. How do you do it?’ She asked.
‘I don’t know how to explain it. I suppose my mind is made up of small molecules and after I hear information these molecules form together to let me know if I’m heading in the right direction. I know if something is not right in the back of my mind, I feel a ping to indicate either someone has told me a lie or one of the pieces of the puzzle didn’t fit the picture. Does that make sense?’ He answered.
‘I don’t feel a ping. You must be one of a kind Bundy. No wonder the Commissioner wanted you on this investigation.’ She ate her toast and sipped her coffee.
‘We’ve got to work on a strategy of what we’re to do next.’ Bundy said.
‘You’re the one to do that. Honestly, I don’t know where to go to from here. I feel so relaxed. We could stay here and figure out a plan.’ A yarn formed her mouth.
‘Didn’t you sleep well?’ Bundy asked.
‘Slept like a baby. I think that’s the problem, I haven’t slept this good in a long time’.
‘Do you remember before we visited Mrs Clayton, or should I say, Mary, I got you to step the distance Peter would have walked the day he disappeared.’
‘Yes, I thought it was stupid at the time.’
‘Do you remember how many steps or distance we worked out?’...

NOTICE: I'LL BE ABSENT UNTIL 28TH DECEMBER 2023. I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE FOR THEIR LOYALTY DURING 2023. I WISH YOU ALL A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 2
mzawf, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:01 pm

Thank you mzawf, Nevis. Here is the page for today:

'The Proposition' - Page 51:

‘I have it here in my phone – one hundred and eighty metres.’ She said looking at the face of her mobile telephone.
‘Did you take that bloody thing to bed with you last night to count the number of snores you did?’ Bundy asked sarcastically.
‘How do you know I snore?’
‘I heard the room rumble when I got up this morning to make your coffee and toast.’
‘I was tied, and when I’m tied – I snore. It’s no wonder my throat is dry this morning. This coffee is good.’
‘Okay let’s get back to the distance Peter walked to the footpath. Mary told us she turned away as soon as he was near the footpath before the overhead railway bridge. You remember she said something like that?’ Bundy asked Kate.
‘Yeah – I’ll tell you exactly what she said.’ Kate opened her mobile telephone, flicked a switch on the front face and heard Mary’s voice, “When he was safely across the road to the railway station, I walked inside”.
‘Okay then. How did you record her voice without her knowing?’ Bundy asked.
‘When she spoke, I activated the voice recorder on the phone.’ Kate told him.
‘I’ll be damned – that’s terrific. We didn’t have those things in my day. We didn’t have mobile phones.’ Bundy explained. ‘I’ll need to get one of those damn things; it’s like recording everything we do. Anyway, here is the issue. Say, she saw Peter cross the road. In all honesty, I think she’s mistaken on the day about when she last saw him, because she would have been thinking about preparing dinner for her husband.’
‘What are you getting at?’ Kate frowned.
‘I don’t know – let’s assume. I know ‘assume’ makes an ass out of you and me, but for this exercise let’s say she turned around before Peter crossed the road. The distance, approximately, from the other side of the road to the footpath near the overhead railway bridge is say one hundred and eighty metres. You see the picture.’

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:09 pm

Thank you nevis. Page for today:

'The Proposition' - Page 52:

‘Not yet – keep going.’
‘Say Mary stopped looking when Peter walked through the paddock and never sighted him cross the road to the footpath. We know he never reached the ticket dispenser, so we can safely say, he may not have walked across the overhead railway bridge.’
‘Where’s this going Bundy – you’re sending me around in circles.’
‘There is a small ‘window of opportunity’ from the moment he was last seen by his mother to when he disappeared. This ‘window of opportunity’ would have been five minutes, approximate or there about.’
‘How do you work that out?’ Kate looked at Bundy bewildered.
‘He always took fifteen minutes after he left home to board the train at precisely four-thirty. He left home at the usual time and walked through the paddock, across the road and onto the footpath, up over the overhead railway bridge and onto the platform.’
‘Yes, I can see that?’
‘There was an opportunity from the time his mother turned to walk inside, to the time he didn’t arrive at the platform, which in my opinion would have been about five minutes. Did you time yourself when you walked the one hundred and eighty metres?’
‘No – I had no reason too.’
‘That little machine didn’t time you by accident, did it?’ Bundy asked Kate with a slight grin covering his lips.
‘No – it doesn’t do that. I can take your photograph – if you want.’ Kate aimed the phone toward Bundy, he noticed a flash.

Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:46 pm

The Proposition' - Page 53:
‘Did you take my photograph?’ He asked in astonishment.
‘Here – have a look.’ Kate turned the face of the telephone toward him and he saw a reflection of himself.
‘Amazing.’ He said.
The telephone in his office came to life with a ringing sound.
‘I wonder who that could be. I never receive any phone calls.’ Bundy said.
‘You’d better answer it to find out who it is.’ Kate replied.
Bundy walked to his office, picked the hand-held telephone, clicked the call button, and placed the phone to his mouth, ‘hello, Bundy Quicksilver speaking.’
‘How ya going – you ole fox, still got that little vixen with you.’ It was Quincy Simpson.
‘Yes – she’s here Quincy, she stayed overnight.’ Bundy told his friend. He heard Quincy’s breath quicken, ‘do you want to speak with her?’ He continued walking to the front veranda as he spoke.
‘No – I wanted to speak with you – actually.’ His voice more relaxed.
‘What do you want to speak about? I’ll put you on loudspeaker so Kate can hear what you want.’ Bundy told his friend. He pressed the button on loudspeaker and placed the telephone on the table in between Kate and himself.
‘Good morning Kate.’ Quincy spoke.
‘Same to you.’ Kate replied, ‘how can we help you?’ She asked.
‘Is it possible to get me a piece of Peter’s hair, or some clothing? I want to test it for DNA. I have an idea but I can’t share it with you yet because I’m still working on it. I’ll let you know as soon as you deliver me some hair particles or clothing belonging to Peter he was wearing around the time of his disappearance.’ Quincy told his friends.
‘Yeah – we’ll get them for you.’ Both said in unison. Bundy and Kate looked at one another in surprise they’d spoken the same words at the same time.
‘Ring me when you’ve got them so I’ll be home when you bring them.’ Quincy finished the conversation and disconnected the call.
‘I wonder what that’s all about.’ Kate asked in an inquisitive voice.
‘I told you he’d come back with something to help us.’ Bundy had a smile in his voice.
‘We’ll see.’ Kate continued to be sceptical about Bundy’s friend...

Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:03 pm

'The Proposition' - Page 54: Chapter 7

Before they left, Kate telephoned Mary to inform her they were on their way and if she had a piece of Peter’s hair and some clothing, he was wearing around the time he disappeared. She told Kate; she would have both items ready when they arrived.
Mary met Kate and Bundy at the front door, ‘come in, I’ve put the kettle on and we’ll have a cup-of-tea.’ She beckoned both into the dining room. She handed Kate an envelope containing a sample of her son’s hair, ‘this was his first haircut. Here is a pair of jeans and tee shirt. I hope they’ll do.’ She said.
Kate took both the envelope and clothing and placed them separately into a plastic evidence bag which she’d bought with her.
‘Can you tell me why you need these things?’ Mary asked - concerned.
‘My friend is a forensic scientist; he telephoned this morning and asked if we would speak with you to see if you had these items. We’re uncertain why he needs them. We’re the messengers at this stage.’ Bundy explained.
‘Oh, I hope they’re what you want – I’d love to find Peter.’
‘We hope this will help.’ Kate told her.
‘Mary, can I ask you a question.’ Bundy asked her.
‘Of course, you can – go right ahead.’ Mary replied ready for Bundy’s question.
‘On the day Peter disappeared, are you certain you saw him walk across from the paddock to the footpath before you returned inside to cook dinner for your husband?’ He asked in a sincere voice.
Mary thought of the time, her memory still uncertain of details and couldn’t honestly answer as she’d done before, ‘it’s a long time ago. I know I always watched him walk onto the footpath when he went to railway station, but this time – no, I can’t tell you if he reached the footpath before I returned inside. I’m sorry,’ she began to weep. Bundy handed her his handkerchief to wipe away the tears...

Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:36 pm

'The Proposition' - Page 56:

Kate on the other hand said, ‘you can rule me out. I don’t believe in this hibber jibber stuff and I’m not going to be a part of it.’ She spat the words.
Quincy explained more of his idea to Bundy whilst Kate joined Victoria for a coffee and women’s talk. A couple of hours later they left.
On the journey to Bundy’s home Kate was silent.
‘Why don’t you like Quincy’s suggestion?’ Bundy asked her.
‘It’s hocus-pocus Bundy, I don’t believe in that stuff. It’s ridiculous. Imagine what the Commissioner is going to say when I tell him.’ She burst out almost shouting her answer.
‘Why have you got to tell him about Quincy’s ‘secret weapon’?’ Bundy asked.
‘It’s better to keep him informed if he hears it from me rather than someone else. I’m going to ask him to take me off the case and return to proper investigation work. I’ve had enough. You can carry on with the investigation if you’re going to do what Quincy wants.’ Kate informed Bundy.
‘Let me tell you a story about Quincy before you get off your high horse. One investigation we did together in 1976 was to prove how a young farmer died when he was found dead on the roadway at the front of his home.’ Bundy went on to explain, no one else, including his boss of the day believed the theory Quincy had came up with to solve the investigation.
The farmer had gone to his paddock at sunset to put a calf away and lock the cow in a yard so the following morning he could milk the cow. If he hadn’t locked the cow away, the calf would have sucked the cow dry and the farmer would have no milk the following morning.
When the farmer never returned, his wife went in search for him and found him dead on the roadway in front of their home. He had a wound to his forehead and his left ankle broken. The position he was found on the roadway was flat on his back, his arms spread wide. A huge gash indented across his forehead...

Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter