An extraordinary writer
ENJOY
:read
  • Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:28 pm

Thank you nevis. Page for today:

'The Proposition' - Page 21:

‘I like the name ‘High Class Investigator’. It’s an omen, and he’s wearing number twelve saddlecloth.’
‘That’s about all that’s going for him. But you never know in the racing business. The race is about to start.’
All lights dimmed on the track; only noise heard was the sound from the racecourse announcer about to call the race. ‘They’re off and racing.’ The race caller sprouted, calling the name of each horse as they positioned in the race.
Bundy witnessed many races and this one was the same as any other. Number twelve followed number two through to position itself in the one out - one back position, an ideal spot to be in, until the final hundred metres of the race.
‘Your horse is in a good spot – one out and one back, he’s not doing much work and should finish well.’ Bundy told Detective Superintendent Emerson.
‘I told you I liked the name of the horse.’
‘Alright, move around now.’ Bundy whispered, his heartbeat faster and knew number twelve had a better than even chance to go to the line. Around the final turn the drivers gave their horses all opportunity to win, number twelve moved into the clear.
She jumped from her seat, threw her hands into the air, and screamed aloud, ‘come on number twelve.’ Number twelve crossed the winning post clear of the second horse. ‘I told you he’d win.’ She threw her arms around Bundy’s neck and smiled, ‘I told you so. I’m sorry I did that. I got so excited and couldn’t control myself.’
‘Yeah – it’s okay. No harm done.’ He was pleased for her and took her arms from around his neck and grinned with glee the horse came first past the winning post.
‘What happens now?’ She said excitedly.
‘They return to the front of the grandstand; a steward will check the whips of the drivers before he declares ‘all clear’. Congratulations, you’ve won over a thousand dollars.’ He was pleased for her.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 3
donna, dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 2032 times

Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:02 pm

'The Proposition' - Page 21:
‘I like the name ‘High Class Investigator’. It’s an omen, and he’s wearing number twelve saddlecloth.’
‘That’s about all that’s going for him. But you never know in the racing business. The race is about to start.’
All lights dimmed on the track; only noise heard was the sound from the racecourse announcer about to call the race. ‘They’re off and racing.’ The race caller sprouted, calling the name of each horse as they positioned in the race.
Bundy witnessed many races and this one was the same as any other. Number twelve followed number two through to position itself in the one out - one back position, an ideal spot to be in, until the final hundred metres of the race.
‘Your horse is in a good spot – one out and one back, he’s not doing much work and should finish well.’ Bundy told Detective Superintendent Emerson.
‘I told you I liked the name of the horse.’
‘Alright, move around now.’ Bundy whispered, his heartbeat faster and knew number twelve had a better than even chance to go to the line. Around the final turn the drivers gave their horses all opportunity to win, number twelve moved into the clear.
She jumped from her seat, threw her hands into the air, and screamed aloud, ‘come on number twelve.’ Number twelve crossed the winning post clear of the second horse. ‘I told you he’d win.’ She threw her arms around Bundy’s neck and smiled, ‘I told you so. I’m sorry I did that. I got so excited and couldn’t control myself.’
‘Yeah – it’s okay. No harm done.’ He was pleased for her and took her arms from around his neck and grinned with glee the horse came first past the winning post.
‘What happens now?’ She said excitedly.
‘They return to the front of the grandstand; a steward will check the whips of the drivers before he declares ‘all clear’. Congratulations, you’ve won over a thousand dollars.’ He was pleased for her....

donna, dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:33 pm

'The Proposition' - Page 22:
‘I’ll share the winnings with you.’ She said.
‘You can’t do that – it’s your money and I don’t expect you to share your winnings. You won it fair and square.’
‘Well, I’m paying for our meals and drinks. I’ll have another wine. About time you called me by my first name ‘Kate’.’
‘Okay – Kate, it’s better than Detective Superintendent Emerson, a real mouthful.’
Bundy went to the totaliser and received one thousand two hundred dollars after handing in Kate’s ticket. He returned to the table and handed her the money, ‘you won more than what you thought – twelve hundred dollars.’
‘Here’s a hundred – this should cover our meals and drinks.’ She handed Bundy a crisp new one hundred dollar note. He accepted.
They enjoyed a delicious meal of seafood and dessert finished with coffee and a cup of tea for Bundy. When they left Bundy heard his name called, ‘hey Bundy, aren’t you talking to us.’
He looked toward where the voice came from and identified his friend John O’Reilly. They walked over to John’s table. Bundy knew each person sitting around the table. Memories flooded back to when he and Ada dined at the same table with these friends in harness racing. Harness Racing is a tight knit community and once you’re part of the community it stands for life.
Bundy introduced Kate to each of the group. John looked at Bundy with a look to show, ‘how’d did you get this one – she’s young enough to be your daughter – look’.
‘Come and join us.’ John beckoned. Bundy and Kate sat beside him...

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 2
donna, dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:01 am

'The Proposition' - Page 23: ‘
What’ve you been up to? We haven’t seen you about for a long time.’ One of the diners asked.
‘After Ada died, I got lost in a maze of grief. Anyway, I’m back now. What about Kate here – she backed the winner of the second race, one hundred to one winner.’
‘You’re lucky.’ Said another patron seated at the table.
‘This is the first time I’ve been to the trots and hopefully it won’t be the last.’ Kate shared with the others and smiled directly at Bundy.
‘What’re you up to Bundy?’ John asked.
‘Kate here is a Detective Superintendent with the police. I’ve been recalled helping her with the disappearance of a young lad eight years ago who didn’t get on the train after leaving home.’ Bundy said.
‘That was terrible – I remember reading about it in the papers. That’s a long time ago.’ One lady commented. ‘Are you close to finding out what happened?’ She continued.
‘Not yet – but now Bundy is working with me fulltime I’m certain we’ll find an answer.’ Kate said.
‘Have you still got it Bundy?’ One patron asked.
‘I surely hope so. I feel great and my mind is fresh.’
‘What can we do to help?’ Another patron asked.
‘You can keep your ear to the ground and let us know if you hear anything. That would help.’ Bundy concluded.
‘Here’s my card.’ Kate handed a business card to each of the people seated around the table. ‘If you hear anything – I mean anything, don’t hesitate to phone my mobile or contact Bundy. We’re looking for a needle in a haystack. Any help would be appreciated.’ She concluded and smiled...

donna, dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:36 pm

The Proposition' - Page 24:

They left their friends and walked to the front gate. Kate stopped and looked directly into Bundy’s eyes. He didn’t know what to do. Was she coming onto him, she’s given enough signals all night, Bundy thought – no she’s a work pal, that’s all? She’s young enough to be his daughter.
‘Thank you for a wonderful night, Bundy. I thoroughly loved each moment. I see now why the Commissioner wanted to have you back. We will find what happened to Peter Clayton. I know it.’ She gazed into Bundy eyes. He saw self determination and knew they would find an answer to the puzzle. ‘Goodnight – I’ll see you bright and early Monday morning at the office.’ She left.
On his journey home the words Kate spoke floated through his mind. We will find out what happened to Peter Clayton. I know it. Bundy noticed a new spark of enthusiasm in Kate’s voice. She was now determined to work with him.

‘Do you think your friends who we spoke to Saturday night would know or find out anything?’ Kate asked Bundy at their desks on Monday morning.
‘You never know, they get about and people talk. In our day, and I hate to keep going back to the good ole days of detective work; we visited racetracks and knew who’s who in the zoo was. People get to know and trust you and most people are honest and want to see justice prevail. If they find out anything, they’ll get back to us. I’m certain.’ Bundy concluded.
‘I can’t thank you enough for the other night. I wish you’d share the winnings with me. I feel guilty taking the money.’
‘Don’t worry – I’m pleased you won. Fancy backing a horse to collect twelve hundred dollars, I know it was an omen bet.’ Bundy asked, thinking how lucky Kate was to bet on a one hundred to one winner and collect. Good luck to her. Only hope the luck keeps flowing...

dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:26 pm

'The Proposition' - Page 25:
‘Our luck is with us Bundy; I can feel it in my bones. We’re going to find Peter Clayton. I know it. Come on, what do we do next?’ Her confidence grew.
‘For a start I want to visit the child’s parents and speak to them. I know it’s been eight years, but there may be something to go on with, perhaps something they’ve heard or seen. I don’t know. Can you arrange it please?’
‘Yes, I’ve kept in contact with Peter’s mother. I phone her weekly and have done so since I started this investigation. I’ll phone her to make a time we can visit. She is a wonderful and warm person.’
Kate pulled her mobile phone from the pocket of her trousers, flipped open the lid and speed dialled a number and placed the phone to her ear. ‘Is that you Mrs Clayton? Kate Emerson here,’ Kate spoke into her phone and afterwards closed the lid. ‘Mrs Clayton will see us tomorrow morning; she loves me visiting her to keep her up-to-date with our investigation. You’ll love her. She’ll make you a cup-of-tea.’ Kate finished.
‘What about Mr Clayton?’ Bundy asked.
‘He died about two years ago. He never recovered from not knowing what happened to his son.’
‘I’m sorry to hear about his death. Unfortunately, life is tough. I suppose if anything happened to my son, or my grandson, I’d feel the same way. In fact, my grandson is now the same age when Peter went missing - scares an old timer like me. After Ada died my son came to live with me and although he’s my son and I love him, I’m happy he’s married and now has a family of his own. There’s nothing like being a father and to lose a son at twelve years old – would be devastating. What about the grandmother. Is she still alive?’ Bundy concluded.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: I'LL BE ABSENT UNTIL 24/11/2023.

dub, mzawf, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:37 pm

'The Proposition' - Page 26:
‘Yeah – she’s in her nineties and it’s hard on her.’ Kate said.
‘Can we arrive a little early before we visit Mrs Clayton? I want to have a look around the neighbourhood. Get familiar - I know it’s been eight years and you did a great job of sketching the area; taking photographs; searching bushland and all those things, but my instincts tell me there’s something missing.’ Bundy questioned.
‘Yes, Peter Clayton - he’s missing.’ Bundy noticed Kate’s attitude change.
‘I don’t mean you’ve done anything wrong. Eight years of continuous investigation would leave me still looking for something. My ole mate Quincy Simpson always told me to look within a hundred metres of where the offence was committed and you’re more than likely to find the culprit.’ Bundy shared.
‘Who’s this fellow Quincy Simpson?’ Kate asked in disbelief.
‘He’s retired, in my day of detective work he was a forensic scientist who always came to the scene of the crime, best in the State and probably would still have been only he retired.’
‘You had your own forensic scientist?’ Kate asked amazed.
‘Yeah, you could say that. Quincy came to wherever and whenever I asked, he and I are still great mates. We visit one another and chat about the good ole days. Reminisce if you like, but with hindsight we solve more crimes now than we did in the ole days.’ Bundy reflected on many investigations when Quincy helped solve the investigation through his scientific knowledge.
‘We have our own forensic team attached to the service.’
‘Yeah I know. If you don’t find DNA at the scene, it’s onto the next job – I heard the rumours.’...

dub, Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter