Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
ENJOY
:read
  • Author
Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:17 pm

'Build A Nation' - Page 131:

Thirteen days before first Tuesday in November 1908 Desi engaged to ride Lord Nolan in Geelong Cup at Marshalltown Racecourse. A race many runners in the Melbourne Cup competed as a lead-up to the Melbourne Cup. Night before the race Cynthia discussed tactics to use in the race with Desi. Weights declared for the Melbourne Cup. Lord Nolan received six stone ten pounds. Same weight Cynthia predicted one month before. Desi retained his weight of six stone four pound.
‘Tomorrow your ride in Geelong Cup is important. This is the lead-up to the Melbourne Cup. Two horses and their jockeys you need to keep-an-eye on. Tulkeroo, jockey, Noel Godby. Delaware, jockey, Fred Harmer. Reason I mention these two horses and jockeys because in my opinion they are both dangers in the race.’ Cynthia explained.
Desi sat silent thinking about Cynthia’s words. ‘I can beat them.’ His words filled with steel.
‘Don’t be too cocky. Don’t forget this race is over one and half miles. Melbourne Cup is two miles. If Lord Nolan finishes a place, I’ll be happy.’ Cynthia shared. Desi thought about Cynthia’s comment.
Race day at Geelong. Mr A E Mayo spoke to Desi before the race, ‘Lord Nolan has drawn a wide barrier. Your dangers are Tulkeroo and Delaware. Both drawn inside barriers. Ease him out from the barrier. Settle him near tail of the field. Last half mile brings him home.’ His words reached Desi’s soul.
Standing at the barrier waiting for the race to commence Desi concentrated on Mr A E Mayo’s instructions. Starting barrier rose, horses dashed away in line. Desi eased Lord Nolan near the tail of the field. Half a mile to race Desi allowed Lord Nolan to quicken his pace. Delaware led Tulkeroo into the straight. Two furlongs to go Desi shouted ‘come on Joker. You can do it.’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 2032 times

Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:28 am

'Build A Nation' - Page 132:

Lord Nolan grew wings increased his pace to come abreast of his two dangers. Three horses raced head to head toward the winning post Desi riding like he never rode before throwing everything at Joker to win. Three horses crossed the winning line. After a deliberation Delaware declared the winner followed by Lord Nolan with Tulkeroo third by a nose.
After jockeys weighed-in Desi returned to Lord Nolan’s stall.
‘You rode a perfect race Desi. You followed my instructions.’ Mr A E Mayo slapped Desi on the shoulder. A broad smile across his face.
Cynthia attended to Lord Nolan.
‘Were you happy with my ride. I almost won.’ Desi asked.
‘Daddy is happy. If he’s happy. I’m happy. You did good by following his instructions.’ Cynthia kept wiping down Lord Nolan.
‘You don’t sound or look happy. What is the matter?’
‘Barrier lost you the race. Joker is cherry ripe for the Melbourne Cup. If he pulls up well, eats his food, not sore anywhere, he’s a certainty to win. Daddy hoped he didn’t win today because his price for Melbourne Cup will be better now’. Cynthia explained.
Desi confused by Cynthia’s words.
In the final week before the Melbourne Cup Bob Mayo with his family arrived at Mayo residence for their annual holiday in Melbourne. After settling in they all met in the kitchen.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:22 am

'Build A Nation' - Page 133:

‘You confident with winning the Melbourne Cup on Lord Nolan?’ Bob asked Desi who sat next to Cynthia.
‘He is Uncle Bob’. Cynthia butted into the conversation.
‘By the way, I met your parents and sister on the train trip down here from Queensland. You’re the apple of their eye, especially your mother’s. They’re staying with your friends Joe and Hannah Gibson in Melbourne.’ Bob stated in between eating morning tea.
‘I wrote to your mother asking them if they wanted to stay here at the house. Your mother thanked me for my offer, decided to visit with your friends Gibson family.’ Mrs Mayo told the gathering. ‘I invited everyone to dinner, here tonight.’
Cynthia reached beneath the table took hold of Desi’s hand.
Desi hugged his mother when she arrived for their dinner at the Mayo residence. ‘I’ve missed you.’ Tears springing to his eyes.
‘Missed you too. Who is this lovely lady?’ Daisy pointed to Cynthia.
‘Mother. Allow me to introduce you to my Torture Queen Cynthia who has helped me prepare for the Melbourne Cup.’ Desi explained.
Daisy wrapped her arms around Cynthia, whispered in her ear, ‘Thank you for caring for my son. Pleased to meet you Cynthia.’ Daisy released her hold.
‘It’s been a pleasure Mrs Whiteman.’ Cynthia replied in a low voice.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:25 pm

'Build A Nation' - Pages 134-135:

‘Call me Daisy.’
Great time enjoyed by everyone sharing conversations about their lives, catching up with latest gossip from Cunnamulla. Time for everyone to leave. Daisy wrapped her arms around Cynthia, ‘Again, thank you for looking after my boy Cynthia.’ Daisy kissed Cynthia on the cheek.
Desi rose at three-thirty next morning ready for his run with Torture Queen. They met on the steps. ‘I love your mother. Such a warm considerate person.’ Cynthia said when she met Desi. ‘Come on. Final torture test before the race today. They ran their usual course with Desi waiting for Cynthia to reach him at the house.
‘Where have you been slow coach?’ Desi smiled with glee.
Puffing her way to the seat on the veranda Cynthia sat, ‘You ride today like you run. You’ll win by ten lengths.’ Cynthia puffed the words.
Desi met Cynthia at the kitchen table for breakfast. Mrs Mayo smiled handing their meals to Desi and Cynthia. Desi ate his food slowly digesting each mouthful.
‘Are you ready for the big race?’ Mrs Mayo asked Desi.
‘Certainly, Mrs Mayo. I’ll be doing my best to win.’ Desi answered after finishing his meal.
Desi and Cynthia followed their daily routine for a race day, packing gear, brushing horses.
Mr A E Mayo and his brother walked to the stables where Desi and Cynthia prepared for their race day.
‘I wanted to congratulate you both on reaching this milestone. Proud of you both.’ Mr A E Mayo said. Bob nodded in agreement.
‘Thank you, Daddy and Uncle Bob. Desi put in the hard yards. Now for the final step.’ Cynthia smiled at her father and uncle.
‘I could never have arrived at this point without my Torture Queen.’ Desi wrapped his arms around Cynthia, kissed her on the cheek to show his appreciation. Cynthia wrapped her arms around Desi in a hug to show her appreciation. Kissed him on the lips. Desi’s hand went immediately to where Cynthia kissed him. If hearts or birds were visible Desi saw ‘love in the air’.

Chapter 15

They stood together before Mr A E Mayo and Bob. Their hands joined as one. Staring into one another’s eyes, holding hands Desi couldn’t prevent himself from kissing Cynthia on the lips. She wrapped her arms around his neck forced the kiss deeper.
‘I love you.’ Desi whispered in her ear after their lips parted. ‘Thank you for everything you did to make this happen.’
‘I’m in love with you Desi Whiteman. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine falling in love with you before we started this program.’ Cynthia whispered. Desi never felt love before only parental and sisterly love. A raging tornado of love laver seeped from his stomach to his mind left him floating on cloud nine.
Mr A E Mayo’s mouth dropped open. ‘I never expected this to happen. Congratulations to you both. Mother will be pleased. Something I want to say while we’re here. Thank you, Cynthia for everything you’ve done to help Desi to this point in the program. You have carried out my instruction to the letter of the law.’ Mr A E Mayo paused to take a breath. ‘Desi, you couldn’t be in better condition mentally and physically as you are now. No pressure, the rest is up to you.’
‘I couldn’t have done it without my Torture Queen Cynthia.’ He kissed her on the lips.
After Trainer and Owner congratulated the couple, he said, ‘Don’t let this love thing interfere with your riding today.’
Desi dressed in his new suit, shirt, tie, shoes for his most important riding engagement to date. His mind abuzz with excitement of Cynthia’s declaration of their love for one another. Arriving at the track with Lord Nolan led by Cynthia Mr A E Mayo asked to speak with Desi alone.
‘Congratulations Desi. Never in my wildest dreams did I see this coming with you and Cynthia. She couldn’t have fallen in love with a better person.’ Desi stunned by Mr A E Mayo’s comment. ‘Riding tactics will be different today. The race two miles. You’ve drawn the short straw again with outside barrier. Don’t worry.’
Desi listened to each word Mr A E Mayo conversed to him.
‘I want you to clear the barrier without trouble. Allow Lord Nolan to remain near the rear of the field until last three furlongs. Up until then he should have a safe journey, let the others jockey and horses do all the work. Kick him home Desi. You are the best jockey on the best horse.’ He slapped Desi on the shoulder. Walked away.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:27 pm

'Build A Nation' - Page 136:

Cynthia saddled Lord Nolan prepared him for the race. Desi stood beside her after she finished. ‘I’d better go to the jockey’s room to change.’
Cynthia turned to Desi, ‘Before you go, take this with you for good luck.’ She wrapped her arms around his neck, kissed him heavily on the lips. ‘Good luck.’ She whispered in his ear.
‘I don’t think good luck will play a part. With knowing you love me will be all the luck I need.’ Desi pulled away from Cynthia walked to the jockey room.
A huge crowd gathered outside the saddling enclosure to sight their favourite horse and jockey. The announcer introduced each horse and jockey when they entered the enclosure. Desi concentrated on his job. Cynthia legged him up upon Lord Nolan whispering to Desi, ‘love you.’
Desi leaned down to Cynthia, ‘Love you also. This race is for you.’
Desi left saddling enclosure to move Lord Nolan onto the track.
Horses gathered at the starting barrier. Desi’s mind like a steal trap door closed to all things happening around him. His breathing smooth, heart beat slow. All horses assembled in line for the running of 1908 Melbourne Cup.
Barrier rose, Desi took a firm hold on the reins, left the barrier without incident. Horses sprinted in a line for a half a furlong. Desi slowed Lord Nolan near the tail of the field. In this position he kept-an-eye on his danger horses watching their positions throughout the race.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:09 am

'Build A Nation' - Page 137:

Leading horses past the winning post for the first time. Lord Nolan near the tail of the field out of danger from any other horses. Three furlongs to go. Desi clicked Lord Nolan to increase his speed passing slower horses which had fallen back under the early speed. Lord Nolan skirted the outside of the field closing on the two front runners Tulkeroo and Delaware.
‘Come on Joker’, Desi shouted to his horse. Lord Nolan sprinted to the front leaving the field in his wake to win by ten lengths. On crossing the winning post first Desi shouted, ‘This one is for you Cynthia, my love.’
By the time Desi returned Lord Nolan to the saddling enclosure he sighted Cynthia rush to him. ‘I love you.’ She shouted while clipping the lead onto Lord Nolan’s bridle to lead him to the winners stall.
Mr A E Mayo with Bob stood waiting for their horse and rider to unsaddle for weigh-in. Desi couldn’t wipe the smile from his face. Within twelve months in his first year as an apprentice he won the greatest thoroughbred horse race in Australia, also found his first love with Cynthia.
After correct weight declared Desi joined his family and friends at the saddling enclosure to join in the celebrations. His father Keith first to congratulate his son, ‘You are a Champion Desi. I’m so proud of you.’ Wrapped his arms around his shoulder in affection. His mother, sister, Hannah, Joe also congratulated him.
Desi continued his riding duties for the remainder of the program.
When he finally arrived at the stables later that afternoon he went directly to Joker’s stall. Cynthia stood brushing her horse. When she sighted Desi, she stopped what she was doing, threw her arms around his neck, kissed him strongly on the lips.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:58 am

'Build A Nation' - Page 138:

After they parted Desi said, ‘I did this for you today. I still can’t believe you’ve fallen in love with me. I’m the luckiest person in the world.’
‘I’m the lucky one. Thank you for winning for me. I think Daddy has a different idea of why you won.’ Cynthia shared. ‘I haven’t seen him this happy since Lord Cardigan won the Melbourne Cup five years ago.’
Night of celebration grew long into the early hours of the morning. ‘You don’t need to rise at three-thirty in the morning any longer.’ Cynthia whispered in his ear.
Desi still floated on cloud nine with his love for Cynthia. They stood on the veranda, hand in hand. Desi released his hand from Cynthia, knelt to his right knee, took Cynthia’s left hand, ‘Will you marry me?’
Cynthia lifted Desi to his feet, wrapped her arms around his neck, shouted these words, ‘Yes. Yes. Desi Whiteman. I will marry you. I love you so much.’ They kissed.
They walked hand in hand to Mrs Mayo who stood speaking with Daisy. Cynthia rushed to her mother and Daisy. Wrapped her arms around their shoulders, shouted, ‘Desi asked me to marry him. I accepted.’
Both ladies hugged Cynthia.
‘I’ll be proud to call you my daughter-in-law.’ Daisy first to speak.
Desi approached Mr A E Mayo, ‘Sir, I asked your daughter Cynthia to marry me. She accepted.’ Mr A E Mayo’s mouth opened almost striking the floor.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter