Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
ENJOY
:read
  • Author
Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:03 pm

'Build A Nation' Pages 81-83:

Chauffeur lifted the lid on the camp oven. Leaned over. ‘Smells good. I need to thicken the brew.’
‘Have you any flour and dripping?’ Asked Joseph.
‘Yes.’ Chauffeur answered. Handed Joseph a tin containing flour another tin containing dripping.
Joseph took an enamel plate from the tucker box. Sprinkled four in a small heap on the plate, mixed water with the flour, spooned a glob full of dripping from a tin, mixed the ingredients together to form a mixture. Then scooped a handful of mixture with his hand, folded the mixture together to form a ball, size of a golf ball. Made about a dozen balls. Placed them into the rabbit stew. Closed the lid on the camp oven.
‘That’ll thicken the rabbit stew.’ Joseph said wiping his hands on the side of his trousers.
‘What are they?’ Jimmy asked. ‘You’re not trying to poison us. Are you?’
‘No. Called dumplings.’ Joseph added.
Each person gathered an enamel plate, knife, and fork. Chauffeur scooped food cooked in the camp oven placed flood on each plate.
‘Hope this taste as good as it smells.’ James said smelling the odour lifting from the plate.
After gathering their food, they found a seat on a nearby log. Chauffeur prepared a mug of tea for each.
‘Compliments to the chef. This food is as good if not better than we eat at Parliament House. You did a great job Chauffeur.’ Jimmy lauded his words of praise to Chauffeur.
‘Couldn’t have done it without the rabbits and dumplings. You need to thank our Premier for these added ingredients.’ Chauffeur finished began eating his food.
‘You have no idea where we are Chauffeur?’ Asked James.
‘No. No roadmaps out this far north. From information provided to me by Mayor of Cloncurry I thought we were heading toward Mount Elliott. Sorry about becoming lost.’ He explained.
‘All is forgiven after you prepared this glorious meal. I’ve lived in the city most of my life. Never would have survived in the bush.’ James told his companions. ‘Couldn’t have caught rabbits. Praise to you Mr Premier. Never will I forget this adventure.’
‘Let’s hope someone comes along otherwise we’re be living on rabbit strew for some time.’ Joseph admitted. ‘Time for bed.’
Next morning before daylight Joseph rose to re-start the fire, boil the billy, heat the remains of rabbit stew from the night before.
When the sun rose over the horizon Chauffeur rose. ‘Good morning Mr Premier. Sleep well.’ Chauffeur said cheerfully. Washed his face and hands.
‘Best sleep I’ve enjoyed in a long time. Love sleeping outdoors in the bush. Close to mother nature. Come and have some breakfast.’ Joseph added. A sound of wheels broke the silence. Joseph looked toward the noise saw a wagon approaching. He stood waved to the driver.
Driver stopped his wagon nearby. Joseph walked up to the driver. ‘Thank goodness you arrived. We’re lost.’ Joseph explained.
‘Where were you heading in that contraption?’ Driver asked looked at the strange motor vehicle. First time he’d seen a motor vehicle.
‘Heading to Mount Elliott.’ Joseph replied.
‘Ten miles south on this track. Left early this morning.’ Driver replied.
‘Would you care to join us for breakfast. Rabbit stew and dumplings.’ Joseph added.
‘Thank you. Love to join you.’ Driver climbed down from his wagon. Joseph introduced him to his companions.
‘This is better than my missus cooks. Don’t tell her.’ Driver scooped the stew into his mouth with delight.
After enjoying their breakfast, they farewelled their rescuer, climbed into their vehicle headed in the direction the driver told them. Rough terrain dodging ruts and wheel tracks finally arrived at Mount Elliott.
‘Do you know how Mount Elliot was named?’ Jimmy asked. No answer from his friends. ‘In 1899 James Elliott, hermit. An old gold fossicker blasted a few trenches. Found rich oxide of copper on this hill named Mount Elliott.’
‘You did your homework.’ James intercepted.
‘Elliott was an old man with a tragic past. He was sentenced to death for the murder of a Chinese man. The real murderer confessed on his death bed.’ Jimmy explained.
‘Luck played its part.’ Joseph added.
‘His luck turned. Elliott sold to Fort Constantine pastoralist James Moffatt.’ Jimmy continued. ‘Who in turn sold to John Moffatt who financed mining to mine 45,000 tons of copper. Elliott died last year after the mine was floated on England Stock Exchange.’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 2032 times

Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:36 pm

'Build A Nation' - Page 84:

‘Did Elliott find more copper?’ Asked James most intrigued with this story.
‘Word is. He did. Unknown where.’ Jimmy finished. ‘Copper worth eighty-seven pounds a ton. Town of Selwyn services Mount Elliott. Our driver from this morning who found us hauls machinery and goods from Cloncurry to Mount Elliott.’
‘We need a rail line to service Mount Elliott. Don’t you think Premier?’ James asked.
‘Hope you are taking notes of our findings James. A great idea.’ Joseph replied.
‘Enough of Mount Elliott. Time to visit Kuridala’. Jimmy told his friends. They boarded their motor vehicle to head to Kuridala.
‘What knowledge have you on Kuridala?’ Joseph questioned Jimmy.
‘Kuridala mines copper, silver and gold.’ Jimmy explained when Chauffeur parked the motor vehicle in front of the latest hotel in the town.
‘I’ll unpack our luggage.’ Chauffeur said.
They booked into the hotel. Met at the public bar to quench their thirst. A fellow standing beside them said, ‘you fellows drove into town in the fancy motor car?
‘Indeed, we did.’ Joseph replied.
‘Come far?’ Asked the patron.
‘From Brisbane. I’m Joseph Ryan, Premier of Queensland.’ Joseph put his hand out to shake the patron’s hand who didn’t respond.
‘Don’t care who you are mister.’ Placed his beer on the counter walked away.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:51 pm

'Build A Nation' - Page 85:

‘Welcome Mr Premier.’ The bartender placed his hand out to shake Joseph, who shook hands with the bartender. Joseph introduced his companions. ‘We never have people like yourself visit our town.’ Bartender replied. ‘I’ll fill them up. On the house.’ He walked away to prepare more drinks for Joseph and his companions.
‘Thank you.’ Jimmy said when the bartender returned with their drinks. ‘We’re here on a fact-finding mission. What can you tell us about your town?’ Jimmy stated.
‘Town discover in 1884. Kuridala, aboriginal meaning ‘Eagle Hawk’. Six hotels, this is latest hotel. Five stores, four billiard salons, three dance halls, and a cinema. Wouldn’t have been possible without Ernest Henry who discovered mining in this area.’ Bartender explained.
‘I’m impressed.’ James replied sipping his beer.
They stayed the night at Kuridala left early following morning for Cloncurry thirty miles north from their accommodation. Returned to Cloncurry 2nd June 1908. Mayor of Cloncurry greeted his guests on their return speaking personally to Joseph.
‘Cloncurry is the wealthiest town in the north Mr Premier.’ Mayor told Joseph.
‘Thank you, Mr Mayor for this information. I will inform my colleagues in Parliament. We bid you farewell.’ Joseph shook hands with the Mayor. Departed Cloncurry for Richmond.
Along their journey to Richmond they inspected recent rail construction. James particularly interested in progress of rail links from town to town in the north. Drove onto Hughenden. This section of travel invaded by a plague of grasshoppers.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:40 pm

'Build A Nation' - Page 86:

‘Look out Chauffeur. Bloody things are everywhere. Can you see where you’re going?’ Jimmy shouted waving his hands in front of his face to swipe away these small flying creatures. Chauffeur nodded. Kept driving. Took seven minutes to drive through this plague of grasshoppers.
Leaving Hughenden, they journeyed to Muttaburra, one hundred and fifty miles south from Hughenden. Rough tracks slowed their journey. Muttaburra township small compared to other country towns they visited. Leaving Muttaburra journey another one hundred miles returning to Barcaldine on 7th June. Exhausted from their travels they couldn’t wait to move into their accommodation at the same hotel they stayed before.
Next morning at breakfast Chauffeur told the others. ‘We’ve travelled almost two thousand miles. Only experienced one puncture.’
‘Told you Mr Premier this was a good motor vehicle.’ Jimmy exclaimed with joy.
‘You’ve convinced me Jimmy. On my return to Brisbane I will purchase one of these motor vehicles for myself. About time I rose to the occasion. Afterall, I am Premier of this fine State of Queensland.’ Joseph smiled. ‘Where are we off to next Jimmy?’ Joseph asked.
‘Clermont, Emerald, Anakie.’ Jimmy stated.
‘After enjoying this fine breakfast we’d better be gone.’ James said finishing his breakfast.
‘We’ve been invited to stay at ‘Northampton Downs’. We do need a break. Don’t you think?’ Jimmy asked his companions who acknowledged his answer with a nod of their heads.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 2
donna, dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:05 am

Thank you donna. Much appreciated.

'Build A Nation' - Pages 87-89:

‘What’s the occasion?’ Joseph queried.
‘Your friend Mayor wants to welcome us to Blackall officially. After our last visit many of the townsfolk asked him why we didn’t stay longer.’ Jimmy explained.
Joseph thought his final words to Harold must have had an impact. ‘We’re delighted to stay and meet townsfolk of Blackall.’ Joseph admitted with a smile.
After they settled into their accommodation Joseph with his companions gathered at the main homestead. Harold walked up to Joseph, shook hands. ‘Welcome to my humble abode.’ Harold said.
‘Do you own this property?’ Asked Joseph. Amazed at the size of the property.
‘Yes. Bought the property before I became Mayor of Blackall. What do you think?’ Harold swept his right arm around indicting the size of the property.
‘Well done, my friend. I’m proud of what you’ve achieved.’ Joseph answered delighted their friendship resolved.
A hundred Blackall citizens attended the function at the property. Joseph and his friends decided to stay four days sightseeing speaking with Harold about what could be done to improve western Queensland.
Early on the fifth day they left ‘Northampton Downs’ continue their journey to Charleville, two hundred miles in eight hours. Staying overnight at his parents-in-law Railway Hotel, Bill and Margaret Smith pleased to greet and welcome their son-in-law and his friends.
‘Only four hundred and eighty-three miles to go.’ Bill told his guests before they retired to bed.
After breakfast next morning Joseph farewelled his parents-in-law commenced the final leg of their journey to Brisbane. They reached Brisbane four and a half days later. Warra to Dalby being the worst section of roadway, or track.
During their time away they travelled a total distance of three and a half thousand miles. Their memories plus places they travelled remained in their memories forever especially being lost, eating rabbit stew and dumplings. A journey to build a nation.

Chapter 10

Nathan Young, Mayor of Cunnamulla sat at his desk perusing documents for his attention. This task, boring. One document drew his attention. Chief Protector of Aboriginals passes Act for Aboriginal peoples to marry under Commonwealth Law. His mind alert made him read the remainder of this document. Daisy and Keith can be married legally. Nat couldn’t wait to pass this information onto his wife Martha.
Nat’s memory returned to when he and Martha accompanied Sir Samuel Griffiths and his wife and Founding Fathers with their wives to Melbourne. Nate remembered his wife Martha wanted inclusion into ‘The Constitution’ for aboriginal people to vote. Her message not received by these distinguished gentlemen.
‘Now Keith and Daisy can be married legally in a church’. Nat said to himself. Rising from his chair he told staff he was taking the remainder of the day off. If needed, would be home. Earlier in the year Nat’s father George sudden death caused his mother to return to Cunnamulla to live with his family.
Joe built an extension onto the dwelling for Gloria to live out her days in Cunnamulla close to family. Nat pleased to have his mother live with them. Martha will be so happy to hear this news. Nat pondered. Walked home to tell her this brilliant news.
‘Are you there Martha?’ Nat called before entering the home.
‘In here Nat. Thought you were at work.’ Martha greeted her husband when he entered the house. They kissed. ‘Do you want a cuppa?’ She asked. Nat nodded.
‘Hello mother.’ Nat said to a woman seated at the table.
‘Hi there, son. Did the boss let you have time off?’ Gloria asked in a sarcastic manner.
‘I am the boss. I needed to tell Martha some important news.’ Nat sat at the head of the table. Martha placed a cup of tea in front of him with a plate filled with chocolate cake. Martha sat on his right.
‘What’s so important this news couldn’t wait until tonight.’ Martha intercepted.
‘Correspondence came across my desk this morning from Chief Protector of Aboriginals passing Act for aboriginal peoples to marry under Commonwealth Law.’ Nat’s excitement at sharing this news caused him to stutter.
Martha couldn’t hold in her excitement. She sprang from her chair. Hugged her husband. Smiled. ‘This is great news Nat. Can’t wait to tell Daisy and Keith.’ Martha kissed her husband on the lips. Returned to her seat.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:38 pm

'Build A Nation' - Page 90:

‘Sorry to sound so ignorant. Why would Daisy and Keith need approval to marry. I thought they were already married.’ Gloria expressed in astonishment.
‘They’re married under Aboriginal Lore. This will be first time they can marry legally under Commonwealth Law.’ Nat explained.
‘We’d better go to Coongoola to tell them.’ Martha said in an exited voice.
‘I’ll hitch up the sulky. Coming Mother?’ Nat asked.
‘Yes. I want to see the smile on their faces when you tell them.’ Gloria said. ‘Wait a minute. I’ll grab my bonnet.’ Gloria walked to her section of the home. Returned wearing her blue bonnet. ‘I’m ready when you are.’
After boarding the sulky, they left Cunnamulla travelled on the north road to Coongoola. Nat stopped the sulky in front of Daisy and Keith’s home. Keith and Daisy walked from the house.
‘What a wonderful surprise. We were about to visit you at Cunnamulla.’ Keith said to his friends. ‘Come inside. Daisy, will you put the kettle on please?’ They all entered the house sat around the kitchen table.
‘Why would you be visiting us in Cunnamulla?’ Nat asked. Keith wouldn’t have any knowledge of this information about legally being married. He thought.
‘I’ve been transferred to Cunnamulla to be in-charge of Railway Goods Shed. Only told about the transfer this morning.’ Keith told his friends in an excited voice. ‘Did you hear about the transfer?’ Keith asked.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:45 pm

'Build A Nation' - Page 91:

‘No. Congratulations Keith on your promotion. You deserve everything. You work hard.’ Nat replied.
‘What is this news you bring?’ Keith asked.
‘This morning I received a document from Chief Protector of Aboriginals passing Act for aboriginal people to legally marry under Commonwealth Law. We wanted to be the first to tell you.’ Nat said.
Keith looked at Daisy. Both frowned at one another. Not certain on how to reply to Nat’s question. ‘We are married under Aboriginal Lore’, both replied in unison.
‘I realise you are. Wouldn’t you want to be married legally under Commonwealth Law?’ Nat asked.
‘We need to talk about this before we give you an answer.’ Daisy replied.
‘I’d love one of those bush biscuits you cook.’ Gloria intercepted.
‘Cooked fresh this morning. We have a free house with the job at Cunnamulla.’ Daisy replied attended to her duty in preparing refreshments for her guests.
After everyone enjoyed their refreshments Nat asked. ‘I thought you would be excited about this new Commonwealth Law to allow aboriginal people to marry. I’m confused.’
‘Not that we’re not excited about this news Nat. Aboriginal Lore proclaimed Daisy and I married many years ago. Before Desi was born.’ Keith explained.
‘I’m still confused my friend.’ Nat frowned fighting for an explanation from Keith.
Keith looked at Daisy. Tears formed in his eyes. ‘One of the happiest days of my life when Daisy and I married within our tribe ‘Gunya’ people. On the banks of Paroo River. Still remember the ceremony. Cheering, shouting, dancing. We enjoyed ourselves.’ Keith explained to his visitors.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter