An extraordinary writer
ENJOY
:read
  • Author
Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:03 pm

'The Bush Detective' - Page 50:

‘Hi. Are you Joe Gibson?’ Allan asked.
‘May be. Depends who’s asking?’ Joe replied in his western drawl.
Allan shoved his hand out to shake Joe’s hand which Joe accepted. ‘Allan Honor. Detective Allan Honor. Cunnamulla Police.’ They released their grip.
‘’The Bush Detective’. Yes. I’m Joe Gibson. You did a great job arresting James Brokenborough for murder of Catherine Smith. Catherine was a lovely lady. Always kind and thoughtful. Her husband Herbert passed through here a couple of days ago. A little birdie told me you would be here to speak with me.’ Joe told Allan.
Allan’s face turned into a confused shape. ‘That little birdie wouldn’t have been your father-in-law, Nat Young by any chance?’ Allan asked. He only told a couple of others where he was going today. His mind went to Bush Telegraph. ‘News travels fast in this part of the world.’ Allan said.
‘How long are you staying. Lunch is soon. Care to join us?’ Joe asked hearing the dinner bell in the background.
‘I’d love to join you for lunch Joe.’ Allan followed Joe to the shearer’s quarters, walked up a set of stairs onto a veranda toward the kitchen at the bottom end. A group of men sat around a long table eating.
‘Got room for a couple of hungry men?’ Joe asked a man wearing an apron.
‘Take a seat Joe. Help yourselves.’ The man replied. Joe and Allan sat at the end of the table.
Everyone stopped eating to look at Allan who sat beside Joe.
‘You ‘The Bush Detective’?’ One shearer asked.
‘Yes.’ Allan answered with a smile.
‘Detective Allan Honor from Cunnamulla Police. If any of you fellows want to confess anything. Now is the time to confess.’ Joe stated looked at each man seated around the table.
All men returned to eating their lunch. Not a sound.
TO PURCHASE 'THE BUSH DETECTIVE' CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/992624
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 2032 times

Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:55 pm

'The Bush Detective' - Page 51:

Chapter 7

After lunch Allan helped Joe bring more sheep to the yards plus return shorn sheep to their paddocks. As the sun set in the west Joe rode over to Allan.
‘Thank you for helping out. If you ever want to leave the Police Force, you’ll always have a job here.’ Joe told Allan.
‘Joe. I’d rather stick with what I’m doing. Thanks all the same. Would you mind if I camp overnight? I have something I want to speak to you about.’ Allan asked.
‘I don’t mind. Thought you might be staying. Your swag. Come with me. We’ll sleep comfortable in the main homestead.’ Joe beckoned Allan to follow.
Joe’s cook prepared a meal of roast mutton with vegetables. After they finished their meal they retired to the front veranda for their chat.
‘Did you have enough to eat?’ Joe asked Allan.
‘More than I should have had.’ Rubbing his stomach. ‘Wonderful meal. My compliments to your cook.’ Allan replied.
With all small talk completed Allan opened their conversation. ‘Joe. I’m investigating the fire at Coongoola Woolshed in August 1894. I’ve spoken with Nat Young about the investigation. He referred me to you. Here I am.’ Allan finished.
‘Coongoola Woolshed fire in 1894.’ Joe stated as if thinking aloud. ‘Allan. I wasn’t around at the time. I was a prisoner at St Helens Island Prison.’ Joe finished.
‘A prisoner. How did you come to be a prisoner?’ Allan said astonished. Allan couldn’t believe Joe had been in prison at the time.
‘I received three years for my part in ‘The Great Shearer’s Strike of 1891’’. Joe answered. His thoughts returned to the time he served at the prison. Bad memories filtered through his mind.
‘I’m confused. Your father-in-law told me The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA, Minister for Police was at the time the leader of ‘The Great Shearers Strike in 1891’. Can you enlighten me please?’ Allan asked solemnly.
‘Yes. Matter-of-fact Joseph Ryan led the shearers in ‘The Great Shearers Strike of 1891’. Only a couple of other people who have been told in secrecy what happened between Joseph and me on the final day of the strike. If I share this secret with you what occurred, can I have your word you will never divulge this information to anyone else.’ Joe asked sincerely.
Thoughts rushed through Allan’s mind. How huge? ‘Yes. I solemnly swear never to divulge what you’re about to tell me.’ Allan placed his right hand over his heart at the same time he spoke the words.
Joe commenced his story when he first met Joseph Ryan at ‘Tilbaroo Station’ in 1890. Continued when Joseph attended a shearers conference at Bourke, New South Wales. Joe admitted to Allan his role he played in taking Joseph’s place in the strike.
Silence fell between the two men. Allan pondered on his next words before speaking. After lifting his jaw from the floor in astonishment of the information provided by Joe he said, ‘Joe. You’re a bloody hero mate.’ Allan put his hand out to shake Joe’s hand. ‘A bloody hero’.
TO PURCHASE 'THE BUSH DETECTIVE' CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/992624
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:05 pm

'The Bush Detective' - Page 52:

Releasing their handshake Joe answered, ‘Not a hero Allan. More, bloody foolish. At the time I honestly thought I did the right thing by thinking Hannah and Joseph would marry to live happily ever after. When I look back over these years, I was meant to go to prison in place of Joseph. If I hadn’t gone; how would’ve I met Hannah, fallen in love and married the best person in my life.’ Joe finished.
‘I understand Joe. I’m about to marry the love of my life. If ‘The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA, Minister for Police hadn’t chosen me to investigate this murder, I may have missed one of the greatest opportunities of my life.’ Allan concluded. ‘One more question I want to ask before we retire. How did The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA’, become Minister for Police?’ Allan frowned.
‘After Joseph and I returned to our true identity’s at Barcaldine after the prison term, Joseph became the first Member of Parliament elected to serve Queensland for newly formed ‘Queensland Labour Party’. Been a member of Parliament ever since. Joseph does a great job. Don’t underestimate the changes he’s made to our industry since he’s been a Member of Parliament.’ Joe admitted.
‘I’m certain he does. He has quite a history to live up with.’ Allan concluded. They shared thoughts for another half-an-hour when both decided to call a night to their conversation. Next morning Allan said his farewell to Joe thanking him for his hospitality. Allan’s parting words to Joe when he shook his hand, ‘In my mind, you’re still a hero to do what you did. This will always be between us.’ Allan mounted Apache rode off toward Cunnamulla.
Armed with this information Allan no closer to solving the fire at Coongoola Woolshed than flying to the moon. Arriving back at the hotel, eager to be with Lynne, he quickly unsaddled Apache, placed the saddle and blanket at the rear of the hotel walked into the kitchen.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:59 pm

'The Bush Detective' - Page 53:

‘Alex. You haven’t seen Lynne about. Have you?’ Allan asked hoping Lynne would’ve been at the hotel.
‘Mate, she left for work early. You’ll find her at school or after she finishes this afternoon. By the way, a fellow name Rollie Cole came while you were away. Something about a fire at Coongoola Woolshed. Only wanted to speak with you. He’ll be at the public bar if you want to speak with him.’ Alex finished. Allan thanked Alex for the information walked into the public bar. Only one person stood at the bar.
‘You wouldn’t be Rollie Cole by any chance?’ Allan asked when he approached the stranger who looked toward Allan when he approached.
‘Yeah. Who’s asking?’ The stranger replied.
Allan placed his hand out to shake the stranger’s hand, ‘Detective Allan Honor. You wanted to speak with me.’ Allan said. They shook hands.
Relief came over the stranger’s face. ‘You arrested James Brokenborough for murdering Mrs Smith. They call you ‘The Bush Detective’. Mrs Smith was well liked in this area. I have some information for you about Coongoola Woolshed being burnt down in 1894. If you’re interested.’ Rollie picked up his beer to sip.
‘I’m investigating this matter now. Matter of fact. You came along at the right time. I have no idea of how the woolshed burned down or anything else to help me solve this crime.’ Allan answered.
‘I can tell you everything what happened.’ Rollie admitted.
‘Are you right to speak here. Only the two of us.’ Allan asked removed his notebook and pencil from his pocket.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:22 pm

'The Bush Detective' - Page 54:

‘Yeah. No worries. I need to tell someone. Been thirteen years. You’re as good a person to tell.’ Rollie finished sipping another drink from his beer.
Allan listened whilst Rollie unfolded his tale about a person named William Riley told him he burnt down Coongoola Woolshed in August 1894. Rollie continued his story about Riley.
‘After he burned down the woolshed Riley went down a fence on the property to find a man named Martyr and killed him. His reason because the bosses always abused him and bossed him around. Martyr slapped him a couple of times.’ Rollie admitted.
‘This must’ve been around the time Riley appeared at Cunnamulla Court. They couldn’t find a body. In the report Riley was discharged because of lack of evidence.’ Allan concluded: puzzled how Rollie had knowledge of the fire at Coongoola Woolshed plus the murder of Martyr.
‘Yeah. You’re right. Although this was thirteen years ago. I remember the incident as if happened yesterday.’ Rollie took another sip of his beer. His face paled. Sweat formed on his forehead.
‘Were you present when he buried the body?’ Allan asked.
‘No.’ Rollie admitted.
‘Where is Martyr now?’ Allan asked. Something didn’t click into place for Allan. Either Rollie was leading him on a wild goose chase or he missed something important. He needed to visit Coongoola Woolshed with Rollie to figure if he told the truth.
‘Are you willing to come with me to Coongoola Woolshed?’ Allan asked.
‘When do we leave. I’ve wanted to have this off my chest for thirteen years. Rollie said.
‘What about early in the morning. Where are you staying?’ Allan asked.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:03 pm

'The Bush Detective' - Page 55:

‘Here at the hotel. I booked in this morning.’ Rollie answered. ‘My horse is out the back.’
‘I’m also staying at the hotel. After breakfast in the morning will be fine by me. How about you?’ Allan asked.
Rollie nodded, finished his beer. ‘I’ll be here first thing in the morning.’ Rollie left money on the bar, stood, left the bar.
Thoughts tumbled through Allan’s mind how Rollie provided this important information without a flicker of an eyelid wondering if the tale he told him had any truth in this investigation. Allan needed to visit Coongoola Woolshed. His thoughts directed to Lynne whom he hadn’t seen for a couple of days. He missed her.
Allan walked to the police station to speak with Sergeant Gray. ‘Good afternoon Sergeant.’ Allan said when he entered the front door at the police station. ‘Have you got time to have a chat about this latest investigation?’ Allan asked Sergeant Gray standing behind the front counter of the police station.
‘Come into my office.’ Sergeant Gray beckoned Allan into his office. Once both were seated Sergeant Gray asked, ‘how’s the investigation going?’
‘A few twists and turns.’ Allan responded.
‘How can I be of assistance?’ Sergeant Gray asked.
‘Joe Gibson helped me to understand about ‘The Great Shearers Strike of 1891’. Afraid I can’t discuss the details because I was sworn to secrecy.’ Allan explained. Sergeant Gray nodded. ‘A fellow named Rollie Cole met me at the hotel when I returned from ‘Kahmoo Station’. I want to visit Coongoola Woolshed with Rollie for him to point out a few details to me.’ Allan explained.
‘This is your investigation Allan. You do not need to keep me informed. I trust you will do your best to solve this investigation.’ Sergeant Gray explained.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:07 pm

'The Bush Detective' - Page 56:
‘Fill me in with what you remember about Shearers Strike of 1894?’ Allan asked.
‘Didn’t build up like 1891 Shearers Strike.’ Sergeant Gray explained.
‘A fellow named White owned Coongoola Woolshed burnt down in 1894. Does he still own the property?’ Allan queried.
‘Bruce White. Built a new shed after the fire. Still owns the property. He’d be getting on a bit in years. Tough ole bugger. Probably still living at the same place. When you visit him give him my regards?’ Sergeant Gray finished his conversation with Allan. Sergeant Gray reassured Allan would solve this investigation as he did with Smith murder. He had a high opinion of his ability as an investigator. They bid farewell to one another Allan informed his Boss he had no idea when he’d return to the office.
After breakfast next morning Allan with Rollie set off on their horses north of Cunnamulla heading toward Coongoola Woolshed. Bright sunny day. Lynne was most pleased to again have her husband-to-be home once more. She couldn’t keep her hands from folding around his neck. Constant kisses pleased Allan.
‘You’re going to marry Lynne Smith?’ Rollie asked after they reached the outer boundary of Cunnamulla.
‘Yes. She asked me to marry her after I arrested James Brokenborough for her mother’s murder. Lynne coined the name ‘The Bush Detective’’. Allan commented thinking at the time he’d fallen in love with Lynne. A huge smile spread across his face.
They rode in silence until Allan mentioned they’d stop and put the billy on. Dismounting from their horses, Allan placed a pair of dinner camp hobbles on his horse after removing the bridle from Apache’s head. ‘That’ll do you boy’.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: I'LL BE ABSENT UNTIL 23RD FEBRUARY 2022. GOING ON A MYSTERY TOUR.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
mzawf
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter