An extraordinary writer
ENJOY
:read
  • Author
Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:09 pm

'The Bush Detective' - Page 1:

Chapter 1

Fate intervenes at the strangest times. Sergeant Gray stood at the public bar of Alex’s hotel enjoying a beer with his friend Nathan Young, Mayor of Cunnamulla. These two gentlemen enjoyed each other’s company; respected each another’s positions in their community.
Four years before they worked together to stop water entering their town. Sergeant Gray with his officer’s rode through rain to witness a flood of water, twenty feet high, slowly making its way along Warrego River toward Cunnamulla. With help from many Cunnamulla citizens Nathan organised work parties to work together in building a sand bank to stop the water entering their town.
Nathan Young became first Mayor of Cunnamulla after he with members of his community saved their town. Life had been great for Nathan since he attained Mayor of Cunnamulla recently being elected for a second term. His son-in-law, Joe Gibson operated his properties whilst Nathan lived in Cunnamulla with his wife, Martha, their daughter, Hannah, their grand-daughter, little Hannah, plus a recent grand-daughter, Sue. Everything in his life rosy.
‘You both understand the latest hotel being built in Cunnamulla? Oxford Hotel, across the railway line on the other end of town.’ Alex interrupted their conversation whilst handing them another beer.
‘Progress Alex. More competition for you. Don’t worry we’ll remain your loyal customers.’ Nathan remarked sipping his beer.
‘More people moving to Cunnamulla than I’ve ever seen since I’ve been stationed here.’ Sergeant Gray commented. ‘Almost twenty years. Long time in one place. Love Cunnamulla and the people. Doubt if I’ll ever leave. Maybe I’ll retire here.’ Sergeant Gray commented.
‘Great. More people move here. Better for us and Cunnamulla. Sergeant I didn’t realise you’ve been stationed here so long. Time does fly.’ Nathan smiled.
‘More the merrier.’ Commented Alex walked away to serve other customers.
Sergeant Gray stopped drinking his beer, looked at his friend Nathan. ‘Do you honestly think more people moving to Cunnamulla will be better?’ He asked his friend.
‘My bloody oath Sergeant. Imagine double the number of citizens in Cunnamulla. Growing year by year. From Joe’s estimations of wool growing in the area this town will ride on the sheep’s back.’ Nathan proudly told his friend. ‘Something bothering you?’ Nathan asked taken a sip from his beer. ‘You look different – concerned about something. Can I help you with anything? I’m a great listener.’
Sergeant Gray’s solemn look thinking to trust his friend with information he was about to share with him. From previous conversations concerning law enforcement Nathan didn’t intervene only when asked to do so.
‘Perhaps if I share what’s on my mind.’ Sergeant Gray expressed in a concerned voice.
TO PURCHASE 'THE BUSH DETECTIVE' CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/992624.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 2032 times

Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:40 pm

'The Bush Detective' - Page 2:

‘Whatever you tell me Sergeant will be between two of us never to be repeated from my lips.’ Nathan reassured his friend.
Sergeant Gray nodded in agreement.
‘We’re investigating a fatal shooting at Tego Springs near Cunnamulla. Catherine Smith fatally injured yesterday. We’ve spoken to the person who shot her. I don’t believe his story for one minute. Claimed shooting to be an accident.’ Sergeant Gray shared with his friend.
‘Yes. Through bush telegraph. Catherine and her husband Herbert, my friends for many years. Delightful couple. Hard workers. Herbert hawked his goods throughout the district for as long as I remember. Wonder what he’ll do now? Catherine became his guardian angel. What are you going to do about this investigation?’ Nathan inquired.
‘To be honest. I want the services of a detective to investigate this shooting. We’re not equipped to investigate murder this far west.’ Sergeant Gray admitted. Concern covered his face.
‘You think murder. Not accidental shooting?’ Nathan remarked in a low-pitched voice.
‘Something suspicious about this character James Brokenborough. Nothing fits. Told us his story of out shooting pigeons, accidentally shooting Catherine. Something fishy about his story.’ Sergeant Gray couldn’t put his finger on the problem.
‘I can always write to my friend The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA. Joseph has recently been appointed Police Minister for Queensland. If anyone can have a detective here; he can.’ Nathan admitted.
Sergeant Gray thought of Nathan’s comments. He didn’t want to go so high in government to reach ‘The Minister for Police’. Would Nathan do this for him, Sergeant Gray pondered.
‘I appreciate if you would write to ‘The Police Minister’ to request a detective to take over this investigation. Can you keep this between ourselves? If word reached The Commissioner, William Geoffrey Cahill, I’d be in hot water.’ Sergeant Gray pleaded with Nathan.
TO PURCHASE 'THE BUSH DETECTIVE' CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/992624.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:41 pm

'The Bush Detective' - Page 3:

‘This conversation is between us. No one else will find out. I’ll write a discreet letter today to have in the post this afternoon. I’ll keep you informed Sergeant. Anything else to help me with information to provide to ‘The Minister’?’ Nathan asked Sergeant Gray.
‘Only one idea came to my mind. Five years ago; young Constable Allan Honor stationed here at Cunnamulla. His bush craft is second to none only to the aboriginal. I’ve read in the Police Gazette he made detective. Transferred to the city. Allan would solve this investigation. I’m certain.’ Sergeant Gray admitted to Nathan.
‘I’ll include his name in my letter to ‘The Minister for Police’. Nathan said his goodbyes to Alex and Sergeant Gray, left the hotel. Returned home.
Walking into his home he shared with his wife Martha, daughter Hannah, Joe his son-in-law plus their two daughters little Hannah and Sue. Little Hannah ran to her Poppy wrapping her arms around his legs, ‘Poppy. Poppy, home’. A huge smile spread across her face. Martha prepared a cuppa for her husband whilst Nathan sat at the head of the table nursed Little Hannah on his knee.
After finishing his cuppa; he excused himself to his office to write a letter to his friend, ‘The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA, Minister for Police’.

Dear Joseph,

Hope this letter finds you and your good wife, Margaret in good health. Hannah has delivered Martha and me another granddaughter. Her name Sue. I have an urgent request from Sergeant Gray. You remember Sergeant Gray. We shared a couple of moments together this morning over a cold beer at Alex’s hotel.
Yesterday Catherine Smith was fatally shot at her property by a fellow named James Brokenborough. You’d remember Herbert Smith, a hawker, lives near Cunnamulla on his small property Tego Springs. Sergeant Gray is most concerned about this investigation. He thinks James Brokenborough is not telling the whole story of what occurred.
Sergeant Gray would like the services of a detective to help him with this investigation. I realise this is difficult for you, a person in your position to arrange a detective for these parts. Sergeant Gray recommended discreetly if you would arrange Detective Allan Honor from Brisbane Criminal Investigation Branch to travel to Cunnamulla assist him with this investigation. Allan was once stationed at Cunnamulla.
Sergeant Gray wants to keep these arrangements between our selves; if you would. I appreciate anything you can do as always.

Nathan Young
Mayor

Nathan signed the letter, addressed an envelope, placed the letter inside the envelope, sealed. He immediately walked to the Post Office posted the letter. After posting the letter Nathan walked next door into the police station to inform Sergeant Gray about the letter. Now to wait for the result, he pondered entering Sergeant Gray’s office after closing the door.
‘Doctor Arthur Murray is heading to the scene of the shooting to conduct a post-mortem on Catherine Smith this afternoon. How long before we have any word from your friend ‘The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA, Minister for Police’? Sergeant Gray asked.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:25 pm

'The Bush Detective' - Page 4:

‘I hope to receive an answer in return mail which will be in about a week.’ Nathan replied.
‘After Doctor Murray conducts the post-mortem; we’ll bury Catherine at the spot where she was fatally injured. Her husband requested this rather than have a service at Cunnamulla cemetery. I’ve placed an officer at the site to safeguard the body with a black tracker.’ Sergeant Gray revealed to Nathan.
‘What happens if I don’t receive a response for a month?’ Nathan asked in a concerned voice.
‘I’ll keep my men to safeguard the site until I receive a detective to investigate this murder.’ Sergeant Gray’s determination showed in his eyes. ‘I don’t care how long I need to wait. James Brokenborough will eventually be charged with murder.’ Sergeant Gray stated.
‘We’ll wait for a message from Brisbane before we can do anything else. You’ll excuse me Sergeant Gray. I’ll keep you informed of any changes.’ Nathan stood, shook hands with his friend, left the police station.

The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA, Minister for Police received the letter from Nathan. After reading the words number of times; his mind worked on a plan how to keep this enquiry discreet as Nathan asked. Sergeant Gray and himself go back more than twenty years and wouldn’t want to have Sergeant Gray have any trouble with hierarchy in the police. Protocol required his services to immediately contact William Geoffrey Cahill, Commissioner of Police in a discreet manner not to break chain-of-command.
He wrote a note to Nathan explained he received his letter, would attend to the matter.
Joseph worded a letter to William Geoffrey Cahill, Commissioner of Police, to attend his office at first possible opportunity to discuss important matter. Joseph preferred to speak with The Commissioner face to face rather than use a telephone. This message was hand delivered to the Commissioner by a member of Joseph’s staff. Joseph waited for Commissioner Cahill to attend his office. Joseph leaned back in his chair, placed his hands behind his neck, relaxed his eyes to think of a suitable approach to be made with Commissioner Cahill on his arrival.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:38 pm

'The Bush Detective' - Page 5:
Two hours later a message received by Joseph Commissioner Cahill awaited his services in reception. Joseph stood, walked to reception, approached Commissioner Cahill who stood to attention saluting his Commander-in-chief, Joseph said, ‘thank you for attending to my office promptly. Please follow me.’ Joseph turned to return to his office, Commissioner Cahill followed.
‘Make yourself comfortable Commissioner Cahill. Would you like refreshments. A cuppa perhaps?’ Joseph asked in an inviting voice.
‘Thank you, Sir. Yes. A cuppa would be wonderful. White with one sugar.’ Commissioner Cahill replied, sat in a seat opposite The Minister. A small table between them.
Joseph left his office to order refreshments for himself and Commissioner Cahill with his office staff. Returned to his office sat opposite Commissioner Cahill.
‘You’re probably wondering why I ask you to my office instead of telephoning you?’ Joseph asked.
‘Yes. Its not often I receive an urgent message to attend your office. I did wonder.’ Commissioner Cahill answered.
‘Whatever I’m about to speak to you about I want this information to be discreet. Do you understand, Commissioner Cahill? Discreet.’ Joseph admonished in a concerned voice.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: I'LL BE ABSENT UNTIL 29TH DECEMBER 2021. TO EACH AND EVERY ONE OF MY MEMBERS IN THIS GROUP HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS :xmas
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:27 pm

'The Bush Detective' - Page 6:

‘I am your servant Police Minister. Whatever you share with me will be between two of us not to be mentioned outside this office.’ Commissioner Cahill replied.
A knock on the door to the office. ‘Come in.’ Joseph called. A staff member placed a tray containing refreshments on the table between the two men. Excused himself, left the office.
‘Before we commence Commissioner. Please enjoy these refreshments.’ Joseph lifted a tea pot to fill both cups. ‘I’ll leave you serve yourself milk and sugar.’ Joseph held his cup and saucer, leaned back in his chair, sipping his tea. His thoughts immediately returned to when he first met Sergeant Gray at Cunnamulla Police Station before ‘The Great Shearers Strike of 1891’. Much water had flown under the bridge of life since those times. Now he was Sergeant Gray’s boss, so to speak, about to breaker a deal with the Commissioner of Police.
After both men finished their refreshments, Joseph said to the Commissioner, ‘I have an important task for you. I received a letter from my friend, Nathan Young, who is the Mayor of Cunnamulla. A woman named Catherine Smith was fatally injured on her property near Cunnamulla. Nathan has written to me to request a detective from Brisbane be sent to investigate this shooting.’ Joseph finished.
‘I’m aware of the shooting. A message landed on my desk this morning. Nothing about wanting a detective from Brisbane to investigate the shooting.’ Commissioner Cahill replied.
‘This is the reason I’ve asked you to my office to discuss this investigation discreetly. I don’t want you to think I’ve overstepped my mark as your Minister. Only when I read my friend’s letter concerned me how I should approach this matter with you. Are you comfortable sharing this information with me as your Minister?’ Joseph explained.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:17 pm

'The Bush Detective' - Page 7:

‘Of course, Minister. I’ll do whatever needs to be done to help with this investigation.’ Commissioner Cahill stated in earnest.
‘Perhaps if I show you the letter received from my friend in Cunnamulla, you would better understand these circumstances.’ Joseph handed Commissioner Cahill Nathan’s letter.
Commissioner Cahill read the letter a couple of times to understand the true meaning. ‘I understand from your friend’s request to have Detective Honor attend this investigation; I don’t envision a problem. I’ll contact Detective Superintendent Buchanan at Criminal Investigation Branch to have Detective Honor leave immediately.’ Commissioner Cahill remarked.
‘Thank you, Commissioner Cahill. I’d prefer if you arranged everything yourself for Detective Honor in this investigation. The less people gossip about the circumstances relating to my receiving a letter from a friend; the better. Do you understand Commissioner? You will treat this letter and contents with utmost discretion. I’d hate if Sergeant Gray have any issues with this information.’ Joseph expressed.
Commissioner Cahill nodded in agreement. ‘May I be excused Sir to attend this matter?’ Commissioner Cahill stood, saluted his Minister. Joseph nodded. On returning to his office Commissioner Cahill personally telephoned Detective Superintendent ‘Buck’ Buchanan. Many years before they worked together when young detectives. ‘Buck’ got his name from ‘bucking the system’. Each investigation he never gave up until the investigation solved.
‘Hello Buck. Commissioner Cahill here.’ The Commissioner said when Buck answered his telephone.
‘Yes Sir. How may I help you today? You never call unless you need something important.’ Buck answered with candour.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter