Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
ENJOY
:read
  • Author
Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:17 pm

'The Suffragette' - Page 10:

‘Keith, we have a problem. Thought you may be able to help.’ Nat expressed.
‘I will if I can. What’s this problem? Everything is going good at the sandhill and at the river. Everyone working together.’ Keith told his friend.
‘Sergeant Gray rode to ten-mile crossing to find water slowly coming this way. Height about twenty feet. A wall of water. Should be here probably tomorrow morning according to Sergeant Gray.’ Nat told his friend.
‘What’s the problem? Everyone is working to build the bank enough to stop the water from flooding the town.’ Keith replied.
‘Rain isn’t going to stop. How’re we going to work in the dark?’ Nat queried.
‘Aboriginal understand the dark Nat.’ Keith ,laughed. ‘I’ll arrange for relies to lead each waggonette to the sandhill and river until job finished.’ Keith replied.
‘Thank you, my friend. Our community is indebted to you and your peoples.’ Nat expressed sincerely.
Within a couple of minutes Nat with Keith climbed onto the sulky to return to the sandhills. Keith planned for one of his relatives to walk in front of each waggonette to and from the sandhill to the river. Rain continued well into the night. Men worked continuously. At times taking breaks to replenish their stomachs of food served by the ladies at the hotel.
Nat couldn’t believe how everyone in the community worked together to stop the water entering their town. By daybreak evidence showed how much work had been achieved. Last of the waggonettes rolled up to the river bank contents unloaded by weary men.
Nat obliged to thank each person who worked throughout the night to save their town. His mind filled with gratitude all community members worked side-by-side to achieve their goal of stopping the water.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 2032 times

Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:34 pm

'The Suffragette' - Page 11:

By nine o’clock rain stopped, a rainbow spread across the horizon, sun peaked through the clouds. Nat, Sergeant Gray, Joe, Keith stood on the newly built bank at river’s edge looking toward a wall of water slowly closing toward them. Keith’s attention sighted people in a sulky starting to cross the river from the other side on the bridge. ‘Hey! Go back!’ Keith screamed to the people in the silky. ‘Go back. Water is coming.’ Waving his arms, pointing to the wall of water coming toward them. His attempt to reach the people in the sulky failed. All four others copied Keith to no avail. The driver drove the sulky onto the rickety bridge. The wave of water only twenty feet from the bridge.
Desi with Billy stopped their waggonette on the town side of the bridge. Both jumped down from their wagon running as fast as their legs would carry them onto the bridge toward the horse and sulky. The horse stopped in the middle of the bridge, reared causing the sulky to displace the man and woman. Billy ran faster to help the man and woman to their feet. Water gaining speed only fifteen feet from the bridge.
Desi jumped upon the back of the horse, gathered the reins, kicking the side of the horse to move across the bridge. ‘Thank you whoever you are. My wife is having a baby. She needs hospital.’ Billy scooped the lady off her feet, called to the man to follow him, ran as fast as possible across to the town side of the bridge. A crowd gathered beckoning the people on the bridge to hurry for the water was moving closer to the bridge.
Desi controlled the horse forcing the horse and sulky to follow Billy. Landing safely on the town side of the bridge, Billy carried the pregnant woman away from the bridge to allow Desi to cross. Desi safe on the other side of the bridge: a loud crashing sound shattered behind him. The wall of water swept the bridge away leaving nothing in its wake.

dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:59 pm

'The Suffragette' - Page 12:

The woman wrapped her arms round Billy’s neck in an embrace at the same time kissing him on the cheek. ‘Thank you for saving my baby, me and my husband.’ Billy stood in shock. His face solemn, placed the lady on her feet.
‘You better take your wife to the hospital before she has her baby here on the bank of the Warrego.’ Billy told the woman’s husband who took hold of Billy’s hand shaking; mumbling thanks to Desi and Billy.
‘What are your names?’ The husband asked Billy.
‘I’m Billy Campbell and my friend is Desi Whiteman.’
‘We’re going to name our child after you two brave men who saved us.’ He looked across to the where the bridge used to cross the river. ‘If you both didn’t do what you did. We’d been swept down the river to drown. Thank you both.’ He shook Billy’s hand again, walked over to Desi to do the same.
He helped his wife climb into their sulky drove toward the hospital.
Keith came up to his son, wrapped his arms around his shoulders, ‘I’m proud of you Desi. What you did proved you are a man.’ Desi couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about. Everyone congratulated these two heroes for their deed and bravery.
Nat’s eyes fixed on the celebrations. His thoughts of horror. If those two brave men hadn’t carried out their rescue at the time. All four could’ve been rushed away with the bridge from the avalanche of water coming down the river. How brave were these two citizens of Cunnamulla. A light bulb moment appeared in Nat’s mind. What we need in Cunnamulla is a council. Members selected by the community to plan the town’s future. Nat decided to write to his friend The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA to seek out details to fulfil his thoughts.
Once everything settled Nat told the crowd how proud everyone worked together to stop the water entering their town. He called for celebration for Billy and Desi on their heroic deed in saving the family who tried to cross the river before the flooded river swept the bridge away. Everyone gave three cheers for their heroes.

dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:01 pm

'The Suffragette' - Page 13:

Keith approached Nat. ‘Time for us to return to Coongoola to make repairs to the railway line so the train will travel through. You did a great job organising everything to stop the water entering the town.’ Keith told his friend.
‘Couldn’t have done this without your help, your peoples help and family.’ Nat expressed in an honest voice.
Once the dust settled, everyone returned to their homes. Sitting at the table Nat entered by the rear door. ‘Pa, you must be exhausted. I’ll make you a cuppa with something to eat.’ Hannah said.
Nat sat down at the table with his family. ‘I need to tell you all something most important.’ He said in an inquiring voice.
All three looked at him in astonishment not realising he became so serious.
‘We’re all ears.’ Joe expressed wanting to listen to Nat’s ideas.
‘How proud we all should acknowledge our achievements in stopping the water from flooding Cunnamulla. Also, the heroism of Billy and Desi.’ Nat started.
‘I agree for once Nat.’ Martha replied listening to her husband’s banter.
‘After everyone celebrated how the water didn’t flood the town, plus the heroism of Billy and Desi, I had a light bulb moment.’ Nat told his family.
Hannah gazed at her father in astonishment hoping his vision wasn’t affected by this light bulb moment. ‘What light bulb moment Pa?’ Hannah asked.
‘We need a council in Cunnamulla.’ Quoted Nat. ‘A membership of citizens to plan the growth and direction of Cunnamulla into the future.’ Nat spoke as a Statesman heralding his thoughts aloud to his small audience.

dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:47 pm

'The Suffragette' - Page 14:

‘I suppose you should head this membership of citizens.’ Martha expressed in a friendly manner. ‘You’d do a grand job; especially after working on the Australia Constitution. I’m behind you Nat.’ Tears filled Martha’s eyes with pride for her husband. She understood how important Cunnamulla and its citizens were to Nat. He’d be able to lead Cunnamulla into the future.
‘We’re with you Pa. Aren’t we Joe?’ Hannah expressed in a confident voice.
‘Too right we are Hannah.’ Joe shook hands with his father-in-law to express his acknowledgement with his light bulb moment.
‘Thank you all for agreeing with me. Hannah and Joe. With the bridge down. May we stay here until we decide on how to go home?’ He asked his family.
‘Pa, you don’t have to ask. You and Mother are both welcome to stay for as long as you want. Our home is your home.’ Hannah replied. Joe nodded.
After Nat partook of his meal and cuppa, he asked to be excused for he needed to write to The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA for help with rebuilding a bridge across the Warrego River plus have his town governed for the future. Once Hannah provided her father with paper and ink Nat sat to pen his letter to his friend.

To The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA,

Dear Joseph,

I am writing in the hope you may help with my inquiry. To fill you in on recent happenings to our town of Cunnamulla, our town almost flooded. After calling for help to build a levy bank along the river saved our town from flood waters entering the town. Fifty of our local citizens which included many indigenous people slaved throughout rain to carry sand in three waggonettes constantly from sandhills south of Cunnamulla to build a levy along the Warrego in vain to stop water flooding our town.
These men worked tirelessly throughout the night to carry out this deed. When the flood approached Cunnamulla, a wall of water estimated to be twenty feet in height came down the river. Shortly before this wall of water reached our town centre, a couple, man and wife, driving their horse and sulky across the bridge attempting to cross to the other side before the water reached the bridge.
The woman, pregnant, husband driving the horse and sulky across the bridge with the water only fifteen feet away. In the middle of the bridge the horse reared causing the pregnant woman and her husband to fall from their sulky. Billy Campbell (who went to South Africa with Joe Gibson) and Desi Whiteman, (Keith Whiteman’s son) ran across to the couple. Billy physically carried the pregnant woman followed closely by her husband to the safety of the town side of the Warrego River. Desi climbed upon the back of the horse forcing the horse to follow Billy.
In a miraculous rescue all parties reached the safety of the bank before this wall of water swept the bridge down river. You would remember this bridge having crossed this old bridge many times on your journey to my property.
After celebrating the heroics of these two gentlemen plus the building of the levy bank to save our town, I had a light bulb moment. My pride to live in such a community of great citizens swelled my heart for joy. I want to help this town prosper and grow Joseph.
My light bulb moment is: To establish a community council of Cunnamulla citizens to help build a bridge, carry out repairs to our town from the recent flood; also, to have governance to plan the future of our town for the future of my grandchild. Yes, you read right. Hannah is pregnant.
Hope you can help with this request Joseph.
Nat Young
Your Forever Servant.
Nat read his letter to The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA several times to make certain everything contained in the letter Joseph understood. Folding the letter, placing into an envelope he addressed the letter to his friend hoping for action to be taken.

dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:43 pm

'The Suffragette' - Page 15:

To Nat’s amazement he received a letter from The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA within the month. In this letter Joseph congratulated Billy and Desi on their bravery to save two people from the bridge on the day of the flood. Joseph also stated under Local Authorities Act 1902, Paroo Division will become the Shire of Paroo on 31st March 1903.
Nat couldn’t believe his luck. His request to have an authority succeed. In four months, his light bulb idea will come to fruition. Excited with this news he immediately told his family who each congratulated his efforts to follow his ideas, which he always did.
Joseph also mentioned in his replied letter he arranged for a bridge gang currently repairing damage to railway lines and bridges to continue to Cunnamulla to build a new bridge across the Warrego River.

Chapter 3

Martha remained in Cunnamulla to help Hannah with her everyday chores whilst Joe and Nat returned to ‘Kahmoo Station’ to prepare for the shearing season after they enjoyed Christmas and New Year bringing in 1903 with their friends and family.
‘You must be happy Nat about The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA creating an Act of Parliament for the Shire of Paroo?’ Joe asked his father-in-law when they stopped for morning smoko after mustering sheep for shearing.
‘Joe, I’m almost happy as you are on becoming a father. Couldn’t believe the response from The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA how quick he made everything happen. By the time we return to Cunnamulla we may have a new bridge across the river.’ Nat explained drinking his tea.
‘Would the bridge be built across the same place as the old one?’ Joe asked.
‘No. I’ve sent a letter to Joseph for the new bridge to be constructed across the river near the school. This will join the road to Eulo, instead of a half-a-mile up the river where the old one used to cross. Make things better for school children walking to and from school. Won’t need to walk so far.’ Nat explained.
‘You cover each detail. Don’t you Nat? I’m impressed. Never would’ve thought of what you suggested.’ Joe frowned. Thoughts filled his mind with the construction of the new bridge near the school.
‘We’re got to think of the future of Cunnamulla Joe. Wait until your young one is walking to school. You wouldn’t want her or him to be walking all day. Would you?’ Nat said.
Both men pondered about their future. Joe’s mind filled with visions of his child growing up in Cunnamulla. After the shearing season they’d return to their wives in Cunnamulla. They sat in silence for a short time when Nat said to Joe. ‘Mind if I ask you something?’ Nat inquired.
Joe looked across to his father-in-law and replied. ‘Never stopped you before. What do you want to ask?’ Joe finished drinking his tea throwing the dregs on the ground in front of them.

dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:22 pm

'The Suffragette' - Page 16:

‘We’ve never spoken about your time in South Africa.’ Nat continued.
‘Not much to talk about. Billy and I did our duty, fought Boers, came home as hero citizens. What else?’ Joe didn’t want to talk about his time in South Africa nor what happened whilst he fought Boers.
‘I’m worried about you Joe.’ Nat confided to his son-in-law.
‘Nat, you needn’t worry. I’m fine. Time will heal all wounds.’ Joe told his father-in-law. Nightmares returned of the fighting, killing which before leaving home shores he’d never personally experienced before in his life.
‘Joe, if you ever want to share with me what happened. I’m always here for you.’ Nat expressed solemnly. Nat leaned across put his hand on Joe’s forearm in endearment to a person he treated as a son rather than a son-in-law.
Joe looked at Nat, lowered his head to have eye contact with Nat. ‘Thank you Nat for being here when I want to talk. I appreciate what you’re thinking. This is something I need to work out myself.’ Joe paused. Thoughts raced through his mind. ‘I think ‘Horrors of war’ is the name of my issue. I constantly speak with Billy about these nightmares. He also experiences some, not as often as I do. I’m lucky to have you as my friend and father-in-law. Billy was with me always. Never will I ever forget what Billy did for me in my time of need. Thank you all the same.’ Joe explained.
‘I will always be here for you Joe.’ Nat finished.
‘Anyway, you’ve never told me about your exploits with The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA to help with the ‘Constitution’. Must be a few tales you want to share with me.’ Joe smiled.

dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter