Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
ENJOY
:read
  • Author
Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon May 31, 2021 12:51 am

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 87:

'Tell us Martha how did you meet this Daisy friend of yours?' Julia asked her friend.
Martha shared her story of first meeting Daisy at Christmas Dinner when they all gathered at 'Tilbaroo Station'. Prior to meeting her son Desi who stayed at their property. Martha's face brightened at the memories when her daughter hugged Daisy. When Martha explained Daisy cooked a goanna for Christmas Dinner, Joan placed her hand to her mouth.
'How did you ever eat Goanna?' Joan's facial features tightened in horror.
'Similar to chicken.' Martha explained. Continuing to share her story with her guests how delicious the goanna to eat. All of the other woman looked at Martha astonished to think any white person ate goanna.
'I hope they don't have goanna for lunch here.' Sarah cried.
'We'll find out.' Julia waved to a waiter who walked to their table.
'How can I help you ladies?' The waiter asked in a jovial manner.
'Have you any goanna on the menu?' Asked Julie smiling.
'No. Madam! We wouldn't have anything so disgusting.' The waiter replied unable to wonder why these distinguished ladies would want to eat goanna.
'What about porcupine?' Asked Martha looking into the waiter's eyes.
'No!' He exclaimed. 'Anything else I can help you with ladies?'
'A menu please?' Julia asked. The waiter handed Julia a menu.
'I'll return when you are ready to order.' He walked away.
'I think you scared him off Martha.' Joan admitted after the waiter left.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 2032 times

Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:31 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 88:

After reading the menu Julia raised her hand to signal the waiter to return for their order. He wrote down their orders, left without another word being spoken.
'After listening to your story about Daisy, Martha. I've decided to follow in Julia's footsteps and not let Sir Henry take advantage of me from my waistline down until they include Indigenous peoples into the 'Constitution. You have my vote.' Joan smiled.
Nat's idea is working. Martha thought to herself. A smile spread across her lips.

In the smoking room four men sat around a table.
'Nathan, your wife has plenty to say about wanting to include Indigenous peoples into the 'Constitution'?' Sir Edmund remarked to open conversation.
Nat thought about his answer before he opened his mouth wanting to protect Martha in front of these distinguished gentlemen. 'I agree with my wife.' Nat put his hand in the air to stop any conversation from the others present. 'I am the largest owner of pastoral land in south-west Queensland. Gentlemen, this land didn't fall into my lap, so to speak. Over many years I worked hard to attain this land. Taking risks way above my head. Martha has stood beside me all of the way. I will support her in all her views to include Indigenous peoples into the 'Constitution'. Nat finished, stumped his cigar out on the ashtray.
'I wish we had room to include Indigenous peoples into the 'Constitution' to appease your wife and yourself, however, at this point in time we need to have this document completed to be given Royal Assent by Queen Victoria on 9th July 1900.' Sir Edmund told the gathering more directing his answer to Nat. 'Much work to be completed.'
'I understand how difficult is for you Nat. We've been working on this document for over a decade. Julia has been more than patient with me through this time. She's threatened me by using no hanky panky policy in the bedroom if I don't agree with Martha's claims. You must understand Nat this is bigger than Martha's claims. I can assure you.' Sir Samuel shared his point of view.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:42 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 89:

'Perhaps if we explain our position to Nat.' Sir Henry interrupted.
'I'm listening.' Nat said.
'Nat, in 1891 we commenced with a broad outline of a Federal government. Its lower house to be elected by districts drawn up on the basis of population.' Sir Henry continued to explain the process of writing the 'Constitution' over the past decade to have a document to be accepted by Queen Victoria.
After Sir Henry explained the pathway his members wrote the 'Constitution' his reply astonished the other men present.
'I understand your point in this gentlemen. Don't worry about Martha's quest. This is more important to Australia as a nation than to slow down the process. Whenever Parliament is formed for Australian Government perhaps changes can be made to the 'Constitution' to include Indigenous peoples.' Nat understood he needed to let-go to allow these power house of gentlemen to foreclose and made Australia a nation.
'We thank you for understanding.' Sir Henry admitted. 'Now this is all cleared up. Shall we join our wonderful wives.' Sir Henry finished.
They joined their wives in the Refreshment area.
'What happened?' Asked Martha soon after Nat sat beside her.
'We'll talk about this later.' His expression not pleasing for Martha to understand her proposal wasn't accepted.
Quiet whispers of conversation between husbands and wives rushed around the table.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:41 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 90:

'I'm sorry Martha. They are not going to include Indigenous peoples in the 'Constitution'. Sir Henry, no more hanky panky below the waistline for you.' Joan looked at her husband. Smiled at Martha. Sir Henry looked at his wife in a way if looks were daggers Joan would've been dead on the spot.
'Also same goes for you Sir Samuel. No sex until you change your mind.' Julia's voice rose loud enough, everyone at the table understood her words.
'I'm sorry ladies. I tried to change the minds of these gentlemen. After listening to their argument I say I must agree with them in not including Indigenous peoples in the 'Constitution' at this time. Once Parliament has been established in Australia, this policy can be reviewed.' Nat spoke as if he was a politician.
Martha looked at the dissapointment on her friends faces. 'Don't worry ladies. More than one way to skin a cat. Don't blame your husbands for this debacle. Treat them as you would normal. With Nat, I listen to all his argument, never agreeing with him. I do love my husband with all of my heart as I'm certain all of you do with your husbands.'
Nat leaned across kissed his wife on the lips.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:10 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 91:
Chapter 12
After returning to Fort Edward Lieutenant Morant ordered to appeared before Captain Gibson.
'How was your patrol?' Joe asked Lieutenant Morant who stood to attention before Captain Gibson.
'Excellent Captain. Fought Boers, killed, buried them.' He explained to his Captain.
'Because of your success I'm giving you and Lieutenant Handcock two weeks leave.' Joe explained.
Lieutenant Morant's posture changed. Stood taller. 'Thank you Captain.' Saluted, left the office, a smile spread across his face.
After Lieutenant Morant and Handcock's departure on leave Joe received a letter signed by fifteen members of the 'Bushveldt Carbineers' addressed to Captain Gibson. Joe read the contents of the letter a number of times disbelieving at first such allegations of impropriety by Lieutenant Morant and Lieutenant Handcock. In the letter allegations:
Shooting of six surrendered Afrikaner men; theft of money, livestock.
Shooting of two soldiers by Lieutenant Handcock.
Revenge killing of Visser.
Shooting and killing of four surrendered Afrikaners.
Shooting and death of two boys aged 5 and 13 years.
Shooting of a father and two sons who wanted to surrender.
Joe summoned Lieutenant Campbell to his office. On his arrival Joe closed the door asked Billy to sit. He read the letter containing the allegations.
'Bloody hell Joe. What're you going to do about this one. The proverbial has hit the fan.' Billy appeared in shock.
'I've written a letter to the Commander at Pietersburg. I want you to take your men and deliver this letter to the Commanding Officer yourself.' Joe explained handing Billy the correspondence. 'You're not to mention this to anyone. Understood.' Joe finished. Shook his friend's hand. 'Safe journey.'
Billy saluted his Captain, left the office. Rousing members of 'Colonial Mounted Rifles' they saddled their mounts for their journey to Pietersburg.
Joe's conscious clear. His suspicions on-track with Lieutenant Morant and Handcock. Billy returned to Fort Edward handing Joe direct orders from his Commanding Officer at Pietersburg. Joe read the orders. Lieutenant Morant and Handcock arrested at Pretoria whilst on leave. All members of 'Bushveldt Carbineers' to leave Fort Edward to Pietersburg. This investigation be carried out by Captain Joseph Gibson.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: I will be absent until 12th June 2021.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
mzawf
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:51 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 92:

Billy wasn't wrong when he told him the proverbial hit the fan. This investigation into these allegations took over from fighting the Boers. Billy with his 'Colonial Mounted Rifles' remained at Fort Edward. Joe commanded remaining members of 'Bushveldt Carbineers' to accompany him to Pietersburg.
Arriving at Pietersburg Joe presented himself to his Commander. After saluting his Commander, he sat opposite. 'You will take charge of this investigation Captain Gibson. These men are under your command. Don't leave any stone unturned. I've advised Lord Kitchener of your duties.' Joe stood, saluted, left the office. His mind filled with anxiety to fulfil his duties. First to speak with Lieutenant Morant about these allegations. Joe went to Lieutenant Morant's cell, ordered the jailer to open the door. Joe entered. Lieutenant Morant jumped to his feet, saluted, remained standing. Joe returned the salute beckoned him to sit on the stretcher. Joe sat opposite on a chair.
'Lieutenant Morant. By now you must be wondering why you have been placed under arrest and imprisoned.' Joe remarked.
'The thought has crossed my mind once or twice Captain.' Lieutenant Morant replied.
'After you and Lieutenant Hancock left on leave; a letter signed by fifteen of your soldiers from 'Bushveldt Carbineers' handed to me for my information.' Joe continued. 'This may take a long time.' Joe expressed.
'I'm not going anywhere. What were their allegations Captain?' Lieutenant Morant looked into Joe's eyes waiting for the answer.
Joe took the letter from inside his uniform pocket. 'Six allegations.' Joe stated.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:01 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 93:

'Can you tell me these allegations?' Lieutenant Morant asked.
Joe read aloud the six allegations. Lieutenant Morant sat upright. Joe sensed the wheels twirling within his mind. If Joe became a mind reader he'd be able to read Lieutenant Morant's mind. 'These are serious allegations Lieutenant Morant.' Joe explained refolding the letter to replace in his pocket.
'Have you ever been to prison Captain?' Lieutenant Morant asked in his Aussie/English accent.
'Matter of fact I have Lieutenant Morant.' Joe replied. Wondered why being in prison had anything to do with this investigation, Joe pondered.
'May we become more informal Captain. I prefer you call me 'Breaker'. Why did you go to prison? May I ask?' Lieutenant Morant queried not believing his Captain's answer.
Joe thought about Lieutenant Morant's request to call him by his first name instead of rank each time they spoke. 'Okay Breaker. If you call me Joe. A long story.' Joe replied.
'I've got plenty of time Joe.' Breaker beckoned for an answer.
'Do you remember 'Great Shearers Strike of 1891'? Joe asked.
'Yes. Matter of fact. I do. I travelled Australian outback after the strike. News everywhere how the strikers imprisoned for striking. After working on different stations Aussies gave me the nickname of 'Breaker'.'
'I became one of those who went to prison.' Joe admitted.
Breaker folded one leg over the other, looked into Joe's eyes. 'Where were you imprisoned?' He asked astonished by the answer.
'St Helena Island.' Joe told him. Silence spread between both men. Joe wanted Breaker to continue this conversation. This way Joe would pick up on any untruths Breaker told him. His time at St Helena Island gave him the skills when a person told the truth or lies.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter