An extraordinary writer
ENJOY
:read
  • Author
Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:07 pm

'Click Go The Shears' - Page 88:
Chapter 10

Joe hired a sulky and harnessed Joker, he parked at the rear of the hotel. 'Won't be a minute Joker, I'll get the ladies', he told the horse not knowing if the horse understood him.
'Are you ready?' He asked Hannah when he entered the rear of the hotel.
'Just about, Ma is trying on a few things then we'll be ready to go,' Hannah waved Joe away. 'We'll met you outside as soon as Ma is ready. She wants to visit Mr Cummings at the hospital before we leave town.'
Joe returned to the sulky. When Ma and Hannah appeared at rear of the hotel he helped them to their seat. Hannah sat beside him. He quickly grabbed the reins and clicked Joker to head toward the hospital.
He parked at the front entrance and stepped down to help Ma and Hannah safely onto the ground, 'I'll wait here with Joker while you both visit,' he stood beside the sulky to wait.
Hannah led Ma through the front doors. The Matron seated behind a desk. She leaped to her feet to moved her large frame around the desk and rushed to Ma and placed her huge arms around her. 'Ma, I'm sorry about the fire. How are you feeling?'
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 2032 times

Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:05 pm

'Click Go The Shears' - Page 89:

Ma's body shook and placed her arms around the Matron, 'we're lucky to be alive, if it wasn't for Alex, honestly, we would not have survived.'
'Never mind,' the Matron said patting Ma on her back. 'Do you want to visit Mr Cummings?' She asked and released Ma.
Ma nodded. 'How is he?' Her lips quivered.
'He's alive, the doctor will explain everything to you, he's about to do his rounds. You can go and see Mr Cummings. He's in the ward across the hall.'
Both ladies left the Matron and entered the ward, Mr Cummings lay on a bed fully wrapped in bandages with slits open for his eyes and mouth. He reminded Hannah of a mummy. Ma walked close to the bed, Mr Cummings head moved toward the two ladies and he tried to speak. 'I'm sorry Ma', he whispered and fell silent.
Ma didn't know what to do until she heard Hannah say, 'that's alright Mr Cummings, you get better and we'll come and see you again.' She took Ma's arm and led her from the room.
Walking along the corridor the doctor stopped them, 'Ma, Hannah. How are you both feeling? Terrible thing happened losing your home and business. Mr Cummings told me it was his fault because when he got up out of bed in the middle of the night to go to the toilet, he accidentally knocked over the lantern which smashed to the floor. He fell and bumped his head. Next he remembered being carried out of the house by Alex. Do you want me to examine you both before you leave.'
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:18 pm

'Click Go The Shears' - Page 90:

'We're more concerned about Mr Cummings.' Hannah replied.
'Yes, I hope he pulls through, most of his body sustained burns.'
'I think we'll be right, thank you. We off to visit Pa and mother.' Hannah replied.
'If you need my help, call me immediately. I'm always available. I'll keep you up-to-date with Mr Cummings condition. I've got my rounds to do.' He bid the two ladies farewell to continue his rounds.
Joe helped the ladies to their seat and quickly took his seat in the sulky. Taking the reins in both hands he wanted to ask the condition of Mr Cummings but thought better of it because of the look on Ma's face. He decided to mind his own business.
They crossed the rickety old wooden bridge over the Warrego River headed west. Joe had no idea where the turn-off to Kahmoo Station but wasn't certain how far before he needed to turn. 'How far to your parents property?' Joe asked Hannah.
'About ten miles, take a couple of hours. There's a sign on your left with the name of the station.' Hannah told Joe.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:44 pm

'Click Go The Shears' - Page 91:

Joe clicked Joker to a quicker pace surprised Mitchell grass plains grew as pasture rich in protein for stock to fatten. A slight breeze brushed his face, heat from the sun beat on his back, he pulled his hat firmer down on his head.
Thoughts rushed through his mind of Hannah seated beside him. Her womanly scent filtered into his nostrils. In his mind's eye she was the most beautiful woman he'd ever met and couldn't understand why Joe Ryan did what he did.
Both ladies remained quiet until Hannah said, 'Joe, Mr Cummings was bandaged from head to toe. I couldn't stay,' she sobbed holding her hand to her mouth.
Joe let go of one rein and placed his arm around her shoulder, 'don't worry, he's in the right place to have treatment. Hope he survives. Did you find out how the fire started?'
'The doctor told us Mr Cummings got up during the night to go to the toilet and accidentally knocked over the lantern, he knocked his head and only remembered Alex saving him.' Hannah shared.
'Poor Mr Cummings,' Ma whispered.
They continued along the stony road until Joe noticed a broken sign, 'Kahmoo Station'. 'There it is,' and pointed to the sign. He'd released his arm from Hannah once she settled.
'I'll need to tell Pa about fixing the sign. This might be your first job when he hires you,' she said in surprise.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:09 pm

'Click Go The Shears' - Page 92:

'When he hires me!' Joe expressed in an inviting tone of disbelief.
'Yes, when he hires you. I'll tell him to hire you, he'll do as I ask. I'm his favourite daughter.'
'You're his only daughter.' Ma smiled.
'How can you tell him to hire me. You don't know who I am.' Joe replied in an alarmed voice.
'Don't worry, and what do you mean, I don't know you. Joe Gibson, you are one of the most honourable men I've ever had the fortune to meet. What you did to take the place of that other Joe,' she couldn't say his last name, 'is the bravest and most courageous act I witnessed in my twenty-six years.' Hannah smiled. 'There's Pa and mother.'
Joe stopped the sulky in front of the homestead, Hannah waved and shouted, 'Pa - mother.' Joe quickly stepped down and came around to Ma's side to help both ladies safely on the ground.
'Hannah, Ma, so wonderful to see you both again. Who is your friend?' Pa said when he wrapped his arms around Ma and Hannah and kissed them each on the cheek.
'Pa, this is Joe Gibson, he's been so kind to bring us here.' Ma said. 'Martha, how are you, so nice to see you again.' She hugged her.
'Joe Gibson,' Nat said and put his hand out to shake Joe's hand. Joe took Nat's hand to complete the ritual bush greeting. 'What you did is most commendable. Join us in a cuppa.'
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:08 pm

'Click Go The Shears' - Page 93:

Once settled on the veranda Martha said, 'I'll put the kettle on. Hannah would you help me please?' Hannah rose and walked with her mother to the kitchen. 'What's going on with you and that fellar you bought with you?' She asked once they were away out of earshot of the others.
'What'd you mean?' Hannah asked not knowing what her mother meant.
'When he helped you down from the sulky. You couldn't keep your eyes off one another.' Martha smiled.
'Mother, he's a lovely person, and to do what he's done to take the place of another human being, go to prison for something he didn't do and return, yes, I have feelings for him and admiration. Also the utmost respect of what he did. It's only this morning when I officially met him again after four years, but honestly mother, his voice. I've never been able to get his voice from my head since I spoke with him at the police station outside the cell door. I'm comfortable in his presence.' Hannah smiled.
'Be careful. Understand what happened to the other Joe.' Her mother advised.
'There is no comparison, this Joe is warm and what he's done to help both Ma and me is remarkable. I think I like him mother.' Hannah collected morning tea and returned to the veranda.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:30 pm

'Click Go The Shears' - Page 94:

'Ma told us about her home burning down.' Nat said surprised. 'Terrible, Alex from the hotel helped to save them and went back into the house to save Mr Cummings.'
'What was that!' Martha asked when she placed the tea-pot on the table. She almost fainted hearing her husband's words.
'He's not well. We went to the hospital before we came here.' Ma said.
Hannah placed the tray containing food on a table next to Joe. 'Here Joe, mother made these earlier this morning. You must be famished.' She handed Joe two scones on a plate. He took the plate and gazed into her eyes and nodded his head.
'Tell me about your home burning down. Hannah, you never mentioned anything.' Martha exploded, shocked to hear of the fire and the destruction of Ma's home and business.
'You never give me a chance to mother, asking questions about Joe. Mr Cummings knocked over the lantern when he got out of bed, bumped his head and suffered burns to almost all of his body. Terrible. We visited him at the hospital before we came here. Ma's home is destroyed.' Hannah told her folks.
'Ma. You're welcome to stay here with Martha and I as long as you want.' Nat said swallowing a piece of scone and sipping his tea.
'Thank you Nat and Martha, I accept your invitation. Honestly, I don't know what I'll do now my home and business is ruined.' Ma expressed in a solemn voice, tears filled her eyes. 'I'm too old to rebuild.'
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter