An extraordinary writer
ENJOY
:read
  • Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:51 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 76:

Chapter 10

Hannah boarded Cobb & Co stagecoach departing Cunnamulla to Roma early in the morning. The railway line ended at Roma so she had a journey from Cunnamulla to Charleville with an overnight break then onto Roma to board the train to continue her journey to Brisbane.
When she boarded the coach a man boarded at the same time. They sat opposite to one another, ‘Hi there, I’m John Shirley,’ the stranger said and held out his hand to Hannah.
‘I’m pleased to meet you. I’m Hannah Young. How far are you going?’ Hannah asked and shook the stranger’s hand.
‘To Roma. I’m District Inspector for Education. I’m returning from inspecting Cunnamulla State School,’ He replied.
‘Oh my gosh, I don’t believe my luck!’ Hannah placed her hand over her mouth. ‘I want to become a school teacher and return here to Cunnamulla and teach.’ Her smile and expression impressed the stranger.
‘You are in luck. My wife trains all the teachers before they’re transferred to the country. I might be of help to you.’ He smiled.
‘Something is going right for once,’ Hannah replied.
‘Have you had bad luck?’
‘Ah – it’s a long story.’ Hannah sighed.
‘I’m happy to listen – there’s not much else to do. This is my first trip with Cobb & Co as I normally ride my horse. It went lame and I thought instead I’d take the stagecoach,’ John replied.
Either one hadn’t noticed the coach leave the depot to begin the journey. The horses’ hooves clip clopped along the sandy track only used by locals and Cobb & Co coach, and followed Warrego River which meandered along, glistered by the morning sun striking the brown coloured water.
‘Do you have a large district to inspect?’ Hannah asked.
‘I’ve many schools to inspect, some farther west than here. Normally I travel about four to five thousand miles a year,’ John explained.
‘We’ll stop at Coongoola for smoko,’ a male voice called from above.
TO PURCHASE 'THE SHEARER': CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 2033 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:30 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 77:

‘Okay,’ John shouted back. ‘Yes, my job takes me many places. I enjoy my time with each teacher to see habits of neatness, politeness and cleanliness more important issues than the imparting of facts.’
‘I’d love to teach children and I have much to offer.’ Hannah said excitedly. By the time her final words got out she felt the stagecoach slow almost to a stop.
‘Stand and deliver!’ The words echoed through the still air as the stagecoach came to a halt. She looked from her window to the front of the stagecoach to see a man mounted on a horse holding a pistol in each hand. His hat pulled down over his eyes, a bandana wrapped around his face, bright blue eyes the colour of the sky peered directly at her, ‘All out!’ He shouted.
‘Throw down the cash box and all passengers leave the coach!’ The stranger yelled, ‘come on!’ He swung one pistol in the direction of the passengers and held the other on the stagecoach driver. He dismounted with ease and walked toward the driver, who’d handed down the cash box.
‘Don’t be afraid – I’ll protect you,’ John whispered to Hannah as they alighted from the coach and stood in front of the bushranger. Hannah had previously read about bushrangers but never in her wildest dreams thought she’d be held up by one.
‘Hand over your wallet and belongings,’ The bushranger commanded and placed one pistol into its holster, whilst keeping the other on the three occupants. John took his wallet from his coat pocket; handed it to the bushranger. Hannah opened her bag and removed her purse containing all her money. The driver handed over his merger belongings.
TO PURCHASE 'THE SHEARER': CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:48 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 78:

‘Is that all?’ shouted the bushranger looking directly at Hannah, ‘What about the necklace around your neck?’ Hannah didn’t want to part with Joe’s ring. Her eyes filled with anger at the thought of handing over Joe’s ring.
‘Isn’t money enough, this is a present from my boyfriend’.
‘Take it off or I’ll take it off me self’, the bushranger commanded, pointed the pistol in her direction. Hannah removed the necklace handed it to him.
‘What’s your name, so I can tell my boyfriend, Joe Ryan, who stole his ring?’ She didn’t want to part with her prize possession without knowing who stole it from her. John calmly squeezed her arm.
‘Billy Wells – everyone knows my brother Joseph! The police murdered him - tell your boyfriend.’ He laughed, holstered his pistol, gathered the loot, mounted his horse and rode into the scrub.
Hannah placed her hand to her brow. She felt faint and exhausted to think the stagecoach being held up not far from Cunnamulla. ‘What do we do now?’ she asked quietly.
‘No good going onto Charleville because the money from the bank’s been stolen. Better return to Cunnamulla and tell the police about the robbery,’ The driver said.
‘Good idea,’ John agreed. Hannah and John got back inside of the stagecoach whilst the driver climbed upon the seat to turn the horses around in the direction from which they’d come.
‘I’ve never been robbed in my life.’ Hannah said after a short distance. He’s taken all of my money,’ Tears started to well in her eyes, ‘and Joe’s ring – what will I do?’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:49 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 79:

Tears started to well in her eyes, ‘and Joe’s ring – what will I do?’
‘Don’t worry, the police will catch him and you’ll get your ring and money back,’ John reassured Hannah. John formed an idea to help Hannah and hoped she’d agree with his proposal. ‘I’m staying at the Railway Hotel, if they’ll have me, until I withdraw money from the National Bank to see me through.’
‘I’m staying at Ma’s Guest House – not far from the Railway Hotel, only a couple of houses up the street.’ Hannah felt much better.
Soon the stagecoach pulled up in front of the depot office, and an attendant called to the driver, ‘What’re you doing back so soon?’
‘We’ve been robbed, Billy Wells, he said his name was. Where’s the Sergeant?’ The driver replied.
‘Across the road at the police station, do you want me to fetch him?’
‘No – I’ll go myself.’ The driver crossed the road and walked into the police station where Sergeant Gray stood behind the counter.
‘We’ve been robbed Sergeant, Billy Wells, said his name was. Something about his brother, the police murdered him.’
‘What the hell – we’ve never had a hold-up in these parts since 1880 – what’s the place coming too? Where did this happen? You said his name was Billy Wells?’ Wonder if he’s related to the Wells who attempted to rob the National Bank about six years ago and climbed a tree to escape. He was hung so it can’t be him, unless he’s a ghost.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:48 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 80:

‘That’s the name he gave – happened at the twelve mile north of town. He told us to ‘stand and deliver’ and we did. He stole the cash box the bank gave me to deliver to Charleville and all my money and things from the passengers.’ The driver told the Sergeant.
‘Where are your passengers now?’ Sergeant Gray asked.
‘Over the road at the depot – they’re upset,’ The driver answered.
‘Constable Andersen – gather the troopers and tracker, saddle the horses, take the driver with you and find this fellow. He couldn’t have gone far. Scout along the river and look for tracks. Report back to me when you find anything,’ Sergeant Gray instructed, ‘Would you mind going to help and show Constable Andersen where the stagecoach was held up?’ he asked the driver.
‘Sure will. I want my money back. It’s all I have to me name.’
Sergeant Gray walked to the depot across the road to speak with the passengers. When he approached the office he saw a male and a female seated in the corner on a seat. ‘Are you the passengers who were held up?’
‘Yes – I’m John Shirley and this is Hannah Young.’ John held his hand out to shake Sergeant Gray’s hand. ‘This has been a terrifying experience not only for me but also for Miss Young,’ he explained.
‘Can you tell me your version of what happened?’ Sergeant Gray took a notebook from inside of his coat pocket, a pencil from his shirt pocket and opened his notebook to begin to take notes of their conversation.
‘By all means – yes, one minute we were chatting in the stagecoach and suddenly a male voice shouted, ‘stand and deliver’. The coach stopped and a man mounted on a horse wearing his hat pulled over his eyes, and a bandana across his face, pointed two pistols at us.’ John explained.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:54 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 81:

‘He had bright blue eyes, Sergeant,’ Hannah interrupted. She’d never forget his eyes, blue as a clear sky.
‘Is there anything else you can tell me?’ Sergeant Gray continued.
‘Two pistols, one in each hand. He swung down from his horse in one clean movement. Said his name was Billy Wells, thought it a bit strange for a bushranger to provide his name. Said something about police murdering his brother, but it didn’t make sense.’ John continued.
‘He stole my necklace and a ring given to me by my boyfriend’ Hannah broke in.
‘Can you describe the ring and necklace?’ Sergeant Gray continued.
‘Yes – the ring has the initials JR on the face of the ring. Joe Ryan, my boyfriend gave me the ring,’ Hannah explained.
‘Joe Ryan – the shearer?’ Sergeant Gray asked in a non belief voice.
‘Yes, Joe is a shearer. Do you know him?’
‘I know Joe personally. He’s been a guest in our accommodation a couple of times after a night on the grog,’ Sergeant Gray admitted.
‘Sergeant, I can inform you Joe and I are together and assure you he will not be carrying on like he has in his past if I have anything to do with it!’ Hannah explained sternly.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:52 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 82:

‘Now, John was it? Have you anything else to add?’ Sergeant Gray directed his question to John.
‘No I only hope you arrest this bushranger because he not only stole the cash box but he’s taken all my money.’ John replied.
‘We’ll do our best. Is there anything else either of you want to add?’ Sergeant Gray asked.
‘No I can’t tell you anything more.’ John admitted.
‘I’d love to get my ring back,’ Hannah concluded.
‘Where are you each staying if I need to contact you?’ Sergeant Gray asked.
Both gave their addresses where they could be contacted, bid farewell to Sergeant Gray and left the depot.
‘Hannah, if you have an opportunity over the next couple of days, please contact me. I want to ask you something which could help you,’ said John.
‘Okay, I’ll rest and see you in a couple of days. I’ll be at Ma’s Guest House if you want to call in to speak with me,’ Hannah replied.
‘I might do that. I’ll settle in first and see the bank about money. Hope they have some left,’
They said their farewells. John went to the hotel whilst Hannah walked to Ma’s Guest House where she knocked on the front door, ‘Comin – hold your horses!’ Ma shouted. She opened the door, ‘Hannah - you only left this morning. What happened, my dear?’
Hannah threw her arms around Ma and cried, ‘We were robbed by a bushranger,’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter