• Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
ENJOY
:read
  • Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:15 pm

Thank you dub for your thanks. Here is the page for today. 'The Shearer' - Page 127:

Ma cried, ‘I wanted to know Gloria’s life and after she told me she’d been adopted, I felt she was my missing sister. We’ve put two and two together.’
‘Ma explained how our father gave us away in Sydney town after our mother died.’ Gloria explained.
‘Gloria lived not far from where I lived growing up in Sydney Town and we never met one another until today.’ Ma stopped weeping, continued to hold Gloria tight.
‘Isn’t this the most wonderful Christmas present anyone would want.’ Gloria expressed between wiping her eyes and holding onto her sister. She trembled.
‘This is like a dream come true; I always wanted a sister. Hannah this makes you my grandniece,’ Ma cried, letting go of Gloria to embrace both Hannah and Martha, ‘This is best Christmas I’ve ever had.’
‘Nana, this is wonderful.’ Hannah embraced her Nana. ‘We’d better let the men folk know.’ Hannah released them and the women walked onto the veranda, ‘Pa would you and Grandfather and Joe please come inside. We have some special news to share with you,’ Hannah said, with a smile. She took Joe’s hand and led him into the parlour. ‘You are in for a surprise,’ she whispered.
After everyone was settled, Gloria told her story of how much she remembered, and then handed the remainder of the story to Ma to tell her side. After convincing everyone Ma and Gloria were sisters, everyone embraced them slapping them on the shoulder to show their excitement and gratitude of the two sisters having finally found each another after sixty-five years of separation.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 2032 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:21 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 128:

‘I can’t believe how everything has come together,’ Nat announced. ‘This is meant to be and to think if Hannah hadn’t fallen in love with Joe, perhaps Gloria and Margaret would never have met! This is indeed a wonderful Christmas to remember,’ He smiled. ‘This calls for a celebration.’
‘How did you work this out?’ Joe asked Hannah, once they were alone. How do Ma and your grandmother come to be sisters? I’m puzzled.’ Joe questioned.
‘When you were slicing the turkey Nana held her plate for you to put a slice of turkey on it using her left hand. I saw a birthmark on the back of her hand and immediately looked across to Ma who also saw the birthmark,’ Hannah explained.
‘So when they put two and two together, they worked out they were sisters,’ Joe concluded.
‘You’re a genius! No wonder I love you so much.’ Hannah wrapped her arms around Joe’s neck and kissed him on the lips, ‘Merry Christmas, Darling. I love you.’
After an exciting afternoon Ma, Hannah and Joe farewelled their relatives, ‘We’ll be in at your place to stay before we return to Brisbane,’ Gloria called waving goodbye to her newly found sister.
‘I can’t wait to show you around Cunnamulla and show you off as my long lost sister. Goodbye for now.’ They waved and Joe clicked the horse to go faster. Hannah leaned against Joe’s shoulder smiling. She couldn’t feel happier. She put her hand out and took hold of her aunt’s hand, ‘Do you mind if I hold your hand, Aunt Margaret.’
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:53 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 129:

‘You may still call me Ma – I don’t know if I’ll ever get used to being called ‘Aunt’. Isn’t this the most wonderful day?’ Ma felt she owned the world!

After a break over Christmas and New Year, Joe needed to return to work. ‘Crutching just started and I need the money,’ He told Hannah whilst they were seated on the steps at the back of Ma’s Guest House.
‘Do you have to leave so soon?’ She murmured holding his hand, eyes pleading for him to stay. ‘It’s been so wonderful to have you home.’ She leaned over and kissed him on the lips.
‘I know. Wish I didn’t have to go back shearing but it’s all I know. Crutching is easier than shearing and I can still come into town most weekends now I have a horse.’ Joe explained. He didn’t want to leave, but he needed to get on with his job of helping shearers and he couldn’t do it sitting on his backside in town. He needed to get to the sheds and speak with Joe Gibson to hear the latest news.
‘This will be our last night for awhile.’ Hannah smiled and looked into Joe’s eyes. She was deeply in love with this man and knew he felt the same.
‘One last kiss and off to bed. You have your own bedroom now,’ he said with a smile. ‘I’ll be heading off before daybreak in the morning. I won’t wake you so I’ll say goodbye tonight.’ He wrapped his arms around Hannah’s waist, kissed her deeply on the lips, moaning at the feelings he had for her. ‘Goodnight Darling – I love you.’
‘I love you too. I’ll make you breakfast before you leave and make something for the road,’ Hannah whispered in his ear. ‘Goodnight sweetheart, I love you so much it hurts.’ She broke away and left to go to her bedroom.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK PLEASE CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:09 am

'The Shearer' - Page 130:

Chapter 16

Before daylight shone Joe rode his horse across the Warrego River heading toward Eulo. Hannah rose earlier, prepared breakfast and made enough food for Joe to eat on the trip. His mind always on Hannah, he needed to pinch himself to realise she was now his “intended”. May take sometime before I ask her to marry me, I’ve got to straighten out this shearers thing before I do.
By lunchtime he’d arrived at Eulo hitched his horse at the back of the hotel and walked into the bar where he met his friend Joe Gibson. ‘How’re you going, mate?’ Joe Ryan shook his friend’s hand.
‘Plenty going on Joe,’ Joe Gibson answered, handed Joe Ryan a tumbler of beer. ‘Here get this into ya – must be thirsty work riding from Cunnamulla.’
‘How’re things going with the shearer’s union – you heard anything?’ Joe Ryan asked, excitedly.
‘Sure have. How long will it take for you to ride to Bourke?’ Joe Gibson wanted to know.
‘Why?’ Joe Ryan asked.
‘The Australian Shearers’ Union has tens of thousands of members and unionised thousands of sheds across Australia. Been like a bush fire raging through the country. This is what you’ve always wanted. They’re holding an Annual Conference in Bourke in about a week. The talk is prohibiting members from working with non-union members. This is your opportunity Joe, go for it!’
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK PLEASE CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks: 2
dub, mzawf
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:04 am

Thank you dub. Here is the page for today: 'The Shearer' - Page 131:

‘I can leave immediately, go through Hungerford follow the Paroo River down onto Bourke and should take about three days at the most.’ Joe Ryan smiled, the wheels of thought running wild in his mind. ‘I’ll rest tonight and head off at daylight. Ah, wait a minute – what about my work?’
‘Don’t worry about shearing. I’ll fill in for you while you’re gone. This conference only comes along once and you should be there.’ Joe Gibson encouraged.
‘How can I ever repay you, cobber?’ Joe Ryan asked.
‘I’ll think of something – don’t worry.’ Joe Gibson answered with a smile.
At daylight the next morning Joe Ryan rode toward Hungerford on his journey to Bourke, excited with the knowledge that his idea of helping shearers improve their working conditions and receive better wages would finally bare fruit, his input was very clear.
After three days of continuous riding with a couple of hours break for sleep, he arrived in Bourke. Instead of lodging at a boarding house or hotel he camped on the banks of the Darling River with other shearers until they joined their comrades at the conference.
Joe was one of many among the hundreds who attended. First to speak was William Spence, his words explaining the working conditions shearers suffered. William Spence then drew his trump card shouting to the members to join the ‘Shearers’ Union’ in their State, encouraging their fellow shearers to join. ‘Together we’ll fight for better working conditions, together we’ll fight for better wages!’ he spruiked to these new believers.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:55 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 132:

Hearing these words infused with enthusiasm William Spence displayed, a determination grew in Joe’s mind to fight for his fellow shearers. Little did he realise at this moment, events leading from this conference would shape Australian history in more ways than he could’ve ever imagined. A rule created at the conference agreed by all parties: ‘Union members would not work beside non-union members’.
Joe returned to Queensland a proud man, filled with ambition and zeal to accomplish his dream. Over the next year wherever Joe worked he encouraged his shearing mates to join ‘Queensland Shearers Union’ which was formed in Blackall the previous year. Within twelve months, Queensland boasted three thousand, two hundred and seventy-one members. Joe’s mate, Joe Gibson declined to join the ‘Queensland Shearers Union’ on the grounds he wanted his independence.
‘Why won’t you join us?’ Joe Ryan constantly asked his friend.
‘I want to work where I want; when I want; and not told by others what I can do.’ His independence always came before any compromise.
By 1891 wool became Australia’s largest industry. Shearers wanted better working conditions and wages; cockies created personal wealth far beyond their dreams from wool sales. They needed shearers to shear the wool from the sheep but weren’t prepared to share their wealth. There was no compromise. Joe Ryan couldn’t believe how many of his fellow shearers joined the union whilst others declined for their own personal reasons particularly when told union members wouldn’t work beside non-union members.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK PLEASE CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642 - 50% discount.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:19 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 133:

The straw which broke the camel’s back came when shearers at Jondaryan Station on the Darling Downs in Queensland went on strike on the 5th January 1891 over this issue. A spark ignited this debate and before long a raging fire between shearers and cockies engulfed the State of Queensland. At Logan Downs Station, in central Queensland, Manager Charles Fairbain wanted shearers to sign a contract to reduce the power of the union.
Shearers immediately went on strike until their demands were met. The strike started and quickly spread; striking shearers formed armed camps outside of towns. Civil war broke out in Queensland with thousands of armed soldiers protecting non-union shearers and arresting strike leaders. Unionists retaliated by raiding shearing sheds, some burnt to the ground, harassing non-union shearers to stop them from reaching the shearing sheds.
Barcaldine in central Queensland became State Headquarters for union leaders. On 1st May 1891 the first march by unionists with one thousand three hundred and forty men took part to show their solidarity; the leaders wore blue slashes.
Joe abided by the union bush telegraph, gathered his fellow union members and built a camp on the outskirts of Cunnamulla with instructions to stay put until the strike was resolved one way or the other. Hundreds of shearers supported Joe, except his friend Joe Gibson.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642. 50% discount!
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter