Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
ENJOY
:read
  • Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:33 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 72:

‘Bluey was one of the shearers who worked at Pa’s property a couple of weeks ago. Joe beat him to become ‘gun’ shearer.’
‘Now I don’t know how Joe became involved. I couldn’t get anymore information, that’s all he knew,’ Ma said.
Hannah sat silently thinking of the story told to her by Ma. She couldn’t believe Bluey Simpson was dead, bitten by a snake, a bloody mulga snake of all snakes. ‘Ma – would I be able to have a lay down for awhile? This news has shocked me. I need to rest and gather my thoughts.’ Hannah felt light headed.
‘Yes, by all means, I’ll show you to Joe’s room, come this way.’ Ma stood, gathered Hannah’s luggage and carried it to Joe’s room. ‘Here is the room. It’s not much but it’s comfortable.’ Ma placed Hannah’s luggage on the floor and left.
Hannah looked around the small room. There was only a single bed and wardrobe and bare boards covered the floor. ‘This is where Joe sleeps’ and breathed in a smell of his presence. She lay on the bed and soon closed her eyes, her dreams of Joe and Bluey’s death.
When she awoke, the smell of fresh cooked biscuits filled her nostrils. She arose from the bed and followed the smell to the kitchen. ‘Did you have a good sleep?’ Ma asked, looking up at her from where she sat at the kitchen table with a tray filled with freshly cooked biscuits.
‘Yes, thank you. I felt Joe beside me, but it’d be a little cramped on the single bed!’ Hannah giggled.
‘We’ll need to get you two a larger bed if you settle into his bedroom,’ Ma suggested. ‘Would you like a cuppa and a biscuit? I’ve just taken them from the oven, they’re cooling.’
IF YOU WANT TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK PLEASE CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 2032 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:05 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 73:

‘Yes please but I’ll make it. I need to earn my keep somehow.’ Hannah gathered a cup and saucer from the cupboard and put them onto the table opposite Ma. ‘Is the tea pot hot?’
‘Sure is – always.’
Hannah prepared a cup of strong tea sat opposite Ma picked up a freshly cooked biscuit to chew the edge. ‘Can I have another?’
‘Of course, have as many as you want,’ Ma answered. Hannah took another biscuit and quickly devoured it.
‘Ma, have you any parchment with a nib and ink so I can write a letter to Joe?’ Hannah asked.
‘Yes on top of the cupboard, there should be sufficient ink left.’ Ma answered.
Hannah finished her cup-of-tea, ‘leave it there, you attend to your writing, I’ll wash these things before we have lunch. You go on and do your writing in the quiet of Joe’s bedroom if you want.’ Ma told Hannah.
Hannah picked up the bottle of ink, nib and holder, parchment and rushed off to Joe’s bedroom to write her letter. She had so much to tell him.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642.

Nevis
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:44 pm

Thank you nevis: here is the page for today: 'The Shearer' - Page 74:

My Dearest Joe,

You may be surprised to read this letter for I am staying in your bedroom at Ma’s home. She is a delightful person and I know why you think of her as your mother. I’ve shown her your ring (or should I say our ring) she was delighted when I told her about how much we love one another.

I’m saddened to hear about Bluey Simpson. I’m pleased nothing happened to you for I don’t know what I would do if I couldn’t see you again.

I’ve told Pa how much I love you, but I don’t think he’ll ever realise how much I do. I’m still his little girl. We parted without waving which tells me he’s still angry at me for telling him about you.

I hope this letter finds you well my love. In a couple of days I’m off to Brisbane and after I finish my schooling I hope to return to Cunnamulla as a teacher.

Your Dearest Love

Hannah.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK PLEASE CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:30 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 75:

Hannah completed the letter, folded and sealed it with wax. She returned to the kitchen and handed it to Ma, ‘Can you hand this to Joe when he’s next in town? I’ll leave you my address in Brisbane. You never know he may want to write to me.’ Ma placed it under a jar on top of a cupboard.
Two days passed quickly, Ma spending as much time as she could in Hannah’s company, parading her around the different shops in town and boasting of how they were friends. When the time arrived for Hannah to leave, she wrapped her arms around the lady’s shoulder and squeezed. ‘Ma how can I thank you for this time we’ve had together, I’ve loved it.’ Tears dwelled in Ma’s eyes. She choked with emotion and couldn’t get the words out of how she really felt about Hannah. Her Joe was indeed lucky.

Chapter 10

Hannah boarded Cobb & Co stagecoach departing Cunnamulla to Roma early in the morning. The railway line ended at Roma so she had a journey from Cunnamulla to Charleville with an overnight break then onto Roma to board the train to continue her journey to Brisbane.
When she boarded the coach a man boarded at the same time. They sat opposite to one another, ‘Hi there, I’m John Shirley,’ the stranger said and held out his hand to Hannah.
‘I’m pleased to meet you. I’m Hannah Young. How far are you going?’ Hannah asked and shook the stranger’s hand.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK PLEASE CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642.

mzawf
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:22 pm

Thank you mzawf for your thanks: here is the page for today: 'The Shearer' - Page 76:

‘To Roma. I’m District Inspector for Education. I’m returning from inspecting Cunnamulla State School,’ He replied.
‘Oh my gosh, I don’t believe my luck!’ Hannah placed her hand over her mouth. ‘I want to become a school teacher and return here to Cunnamulla and teach.’ Her smile and expression impressed the stranger.
‘You are in luck. My wife trains all the teachers before they’re transferred to the country. I might be of help to you.’ He smiled.
‘Something is going right for once,’ Hannah replied.
‘Have you had bad luck?’
‘Ah – it’s a long story.’ Hannah sighed.
‘I’m happy to listen – there’s not much else to do. This is my first trip with Cobb & Co as I normally ride my horse. It went lame and I thought instead I’d take the stagecoach,’ John replied.
Either one hadn’t noticed the coach leave the depot to begin the journey. The horses’ hooves clip clopped along the sandy track only used by locals and Cobb & Co coach, and followed Warrego River which meandered along, glistered by the morning sun striking the brown coloured water.
‘Do you have a large district to inspect?’ Hannah asked.
‘I’ve many schools to inspect, some farther west than here. Normally I travel about four to five thousand miles a year,’ John explained.
‘We’ll stop at Coongoola for smoko,’ a male voice called from above.
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:56 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 77:

‘Okay,’ John shouted back. ‘Yes, my job takes me many places. I enjoy my time with each teacher to see habits of neatness, politeness and cleanliness more important issues than the imparting of facts.’
‘I’d love to teach children and I have much to offer.’ Hannah said excitedly. By the time her final words got out she felt the stagecoach slow almost to a stop.
‘Stand and deliver!’ The words echoed through the still air as the stagecoach came to a halt. She looked from her window to the front of the stagecoach to see a man mounted on a horse holding a pistol in each hand. His hat pulled down over his eyes, a bandana wrapped around his face, bright blue eyes the colour of the sky peered directly at her, ‘All out!’ He shouted.
‘Throw down the cash box and all passengers leave the coach!’ The stranger yelled, ‘come on!’ He swung one pistol in the direction of the passengers and held the other on the stagecoach driver. He dismounted with ease and walked toward the driver, who’d handed down the cash box.
‘Don’t be afraid – I’ll protect you,’ John whispered to Hannah as they alighted from the coach and stood in front of the bushranger. Hannah had previously read about bushrangers but never in her wildest dreams thought she’d be held up by one.
‘Hand over your wallet and belongings,’ The bushranger commanded and placed one pistol into its holster, whilst keeping the other on the three occupants. John took his wallet from his coat pocket; handed it to the bushranger. Hannah opened her bag and removed her purse containing all her money. The driver handed over his merger belongings.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:40 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 78:

‘Is that all?’ shouted the bushranger looking directly at Hannah, ‘What about the necklace around your neck?’ Hannah didn’t want to part with Joe’s ring. Her eyes filled with anger at the thought of handing over Joe’s ring.
‘Isn’t money enough, this is a present from my boyfriend’.
‘Take it off or I’ll take it off me self’, the bushranger commanded, pointed the pistol in her direction. Hannah removed the necklace handed it to him.
‘What’s your name, so I can tell my boyfriend, Joe Ryan, who stole his ring?’ She didn’t want to part with her prize possession without knowing who stole it from her. John calmly squeezed her arm.
‘Billy Wells – everyone knows my brother Joseph! The police murdered him - tell your boyfriend.’ He laughed, holstered his pistol, gathered the loot, mounted his horse and rode into the scrub.
Hannah placed her hand to her brow. She felt faint and exhausted to think the stagecoach being held up not far from Cunnamulla. ‘What do we do now?’ she asked quietly.
‘No good going onto Charleville because the money from the bank’s been stolen. Better return to Cunnamulla and tell the police about the robbery,’ The driver said.
‘Good idea,’ John agreed. Hannah and John got back inside of the stagecoach whilst the driver climbed upon the seat to turn the horses around in the direction from which they’d come.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter