Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
ENJOY
:read
  • Author
Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:18 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 94:

'How long did you serve?' Breaker asked.
'Three years.' Joe admitted. Calmness overcoming his mind and body.
'You must realise these are false allegations. Being imprisoned in this dungeon. You'd understand Joe.' Breaker admitted, as if butter wouldn't melt in his mouth.
'I took a friend's place so he wouldn't go to prison.' Joe admitted.
'You wouldn't have a smoke by any chance.' Breaker asked.
'Sorry Breaker. I don't smoke. I'll call the jailer if you're desperate enough.'
Breaker shook his head. 'No. Don't need one. What'd you do to land yourself in prison. You don't appear to be a person who breaks the law.' Breaker asked.
'Like I mentioned I took the place of a friend who led the strikers. Looking back on what I did then, thinking about the circumstances. I would do a similar thing again under similar circumstances.' Joe admitted.
'I took you as a gentleman Joe. Not someone who'd stick their neck out for their mate.' Breaker admitted.
Joe realised a rapport being built between Breaker and himself. He wanted Breaker to tell him the truth. 'When I look back now almost a decade ago I did this act to help a mate. You'd be surprised how things worked out for me in the end.' Joe's mind filled with thoughts of Hannah. If he didn't swap places with Joe Ryan the morning the police were to raid his camp, he'd never had met Hannah nor fallen in love, married her.
'Joe, you wondered off my friend.' Breaker interrupted his train of thought.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 2032 times

Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:39 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 95:

'Yes. Strange how everything turned out in the years after my release.' Joe pondered. 'Let's look at these allegations. One at a time.' Joe removed the letter from his uniform to read the allegations again.
Breaker intervened. 'I have no idea why my men have claimed these allegations. They are all false. Ask Lieutenant Handcock. He'll vouch for me.' Breaker replied.
Joe realised untruths delivered by Breaker Morant. His demeanour of cockiness, self-confidence plus stupidity in not telling Joe the truth.
'Anything else you want to ask me?' Joe asked his final question. Breaker shook his head. Lay down on his stretcher, locked his hands behind his neck stared at the ceiling. 'Okay, Lieutenant Morant. I'll leave you rest. If anything you want to tell me call the jailer.' Joe called the jailer, left the cell.
Joe walked next door to the cell of Lieutenant Handcock who'd been arrested at the same time of Morant. After the jailer opened the cell door Joe entered. Lieutenant Handcock lay on his stretcher looked at Joe said, 'Walls have ears. Like him. I've got nothing to say. I bid you farewell.' He rolled on his side to face the wall.
Joe summoned the jailer, left the cell to return to his quarters. His report brief recommending a full inquiry by Imperial officers in order the truth be elicited for justice to be done.

Billy was right about the proverbial hitting the fan, thought Joe when orders came through Lieutenants Morant and Handcock to face court-martial. 'Bushveldt Carbineers' were disbanded replaced by 'Pietersburg Light Horse'. Major James Francis Thomas, defended both Morant and Handcock. In civilian life his work a solicitor at Tenterfield in New South Wales.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:03 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 96:

First hearing involved the shooting of Visser plus the 'Eight Boers' case. Each of the disbanded 'Bushveldt Carbineers' gave their own story of events regarding these allegations. Throughout this hearing Lieutenant Morant and Lieutenant Handcock sat in the dock listened to evidence provided by their own men. Their defence council sat on the left of the prosecutor. Joe sat through each day of the hearing with this Court-martial listening to the wad of evidence provided by members of the 'Bushveldt Carbineers'. One in particular shouting from the witness box. 'Morant gave orders to take the eight prisoners off the road and shoot them. Handcock killed two with his revolver.' Through the days and months of evidence both Morant and Handcock found guilty on all charges. Lord Kitchener signed Morant and Handcock's death warrant.
News of an execution of Morant and Handcock swept like wildfire. Major Thomas wouldn't believe the verdict execution by firing squad. He sought to met with Lord Kitchener to no avail. Not the slightest hope of a reprieve. Word spread Morant and Handcock must pay for what they did.
Night before both to meet their maker Joe decided to visit them. They asked to be in the one cell which was accepted. Joe entered the cell. They stood to attention when Joe entered their cell. 'At ease gentlemen. I can't imagine what you're both thinking.' Joe asked in a concerned voice. His intention to seek solance before they met their maker.
'Would each of you join me for dinner?' Joe asked. Both nodded. Joe alerted the jailer to prepare a meal for all three to be bought to the cell where Morant and Handcock were.
'Don't worry about us Captain. You had your job to do. We weren't much help I'm afraid.' Morant stated.
'Anything you want me to do. Write a letter to your loved ones, anything.' Joe answered.
'Joe, if you don't mind. Would you write a letter to my wife Daisy May O'Dwyer. She'd be pleased I'm no longer her husband.' Breaker handed Joe a piece of paper with particulars he'd written of the address. Joe took the piece of paper placed the paper inside his uniform.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:47 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 97:

'I will Breaker. What about you Lieutenant Handcock. Anything?' Joe asked.
'Na. No one would be worried about me.' Lieutenant Handcock answered.
Jailer bought their meals. Between the time each ate their meals they conversed with one another on a different level. Kind words shared among the three. Almost surreal thought Joe who wished he could've done more to stop them going to their deaths. After their meals Joe wished them all the best, left the cells. He promised to be at their execution the following morning.
At six o'clock the following morning Morant and Handcock were led from their cells to be executed by a firing squad from the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. Both refused to be blindfolded; Morant gave his cigarette case to the squad leader. Standing upright next to his friend Handcock, Morant shouted these words, 'Shoot straight, you bastards! Don't make a mess!. Both Morant and Handcock fell dead as bullets struck their bodies. Joe bowed his head prayed their souls would go to heaven which he doubted.

Joe returned to Fort Edward after the execution. His immediate plans to speak with his friend Billy. 'Billy we're finished. We're going home.' Both men wrapped their arms around one another; instant relief of leaving this God Forsaken Country to return to their homeland. A new dispatch of volunteers arrived to take their place.
Their journey home placed both Joe and Billy into a relaxed mood.
'What're you going to do when we return home?' Joe asked his friend sitting outside on the deck of the ship.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:14 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 98:

'Go back to boring holes for your father-in-law. Why! Did you have something in mind.' Billy asked. They'd been to hell and back during their service which bonded them together stronger than friends would ever become.
'Ah, nothing. Thinking how long before we return to normal life again.' Joe muttered.
'We've been through so much since we landed in South Africa. You a Captain, myself a Lieutenant. Who would've thought this would happen to us Joe.' Billy answered deep in thought.
'Billy we stuck together. Thank you my friend. I will never forget how you had my back all the time we were fighting the Boers.' Joe put his hand out to shake Billy's hand. They'd be friends for the remainder of their lives.

Birthing at Brisbane. Lines of people stood along the river bank cheering. Their ship moored at the port, they walked down the gang plank carrying their haversacks. Joe's name sounded. He looked into the sea of faces. Hannah waving both arms. 'Sorry mate, I need to hurry down to my wife.' Joe pushed his way to the bottom with Hannah racing toward him throwing her arms around his neck, kissed him on the lips. Joe couldn't speak.
'Hello Hannah.' Billy called when he arrived beside Joe.
Hannah broke away from Joe, wrapped her arms around Billy in welcome. 'Thank you for bringing my husband home Billy.' Hannah kissed his cheek.
The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA, walked up to Joe pushed out his hand to shake hands with Joe and Billy. 'Welcome home heroes. Stories about your heroics. Unbelievable. Congratulations Joe and Billy.' Joseph said. 'We have a surprise for you both this evening.'
Joe cuddled Hannah. 'I never want to let you go ever again.' Joe almost cried with glee to be holding his beloved Hannah again. 'Where are your parents?' Asked Joe.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:26 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 99:

'They arrived home yesterday. You'll meet them when we go to Nan's.' Hannah replied continued to hug her husband. She was never letting him go anywhere again.
'My carriage will drop you off. Prepare yourself for a gala celebration tonight at my home. Dress in full uniform.' The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA, replied.

Chapter 13

Nat and Martha couldn't believe how proud they were of Joe and Billy representing their own country in a war far across the seas from their homeland. Much had taken place since their departure more than two years before.
Australia became a nation. Sir Edmund Barton elected first Prime Minister of Australia. Much more to be done before Australia held their head high. The Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act (UK) was passed on 5th July 1900, given Royal Assent by Queen Victoria. Proclamation being declared on 1st January 1901 in Centennial Park, Sydney.
Enjoying an Aussie cuppa at Nan's home Joe's mind reflected on Billy and their past couple of years. Was fighting in South Africa a waste of time? One important issue raised from his thoughts were he and Billy would be mates for the remainder of their lives.
Billy tried to excuse himself from attending their small gathering. Joe wouldn't have a bar of not including Billy. Billy welcomed anywhere at anytime. Billy kept his word to look after Joe to keep his back throughout their absence. Joe wanted to ensure Billy became always part of everything they did together.
Joe listened to Nat's story. How he worked with Founding Fathers to complete 'The Constitution' so Queen Victoria would proclaim Australia as a Nation. Nat's enthusiasm had Joe listen to each word Nat uttered, when the words, 'they didn't include Indigenous Peoples into 'The Constitution'.'
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:56 pm

'The Year That Never Was' - Page 100:

'Why not?' Joe asked. In his mind Indigenous People had more right to be included in 'The Constitution' than any white person.
'Don't worry Joe, Martha and I tried. Martha convinced the wives of the Founding Fathers to stop having any hanky panky with their husbands below the waistline until they included Indigenous Peoples into 'The Constitution'. Thank goodness that didn't include me.' He smiled at Martha. 'In the end I needed to let things go because of more important issues to be included'. Nat finished.
Joe decided to let things go himself. His thoughts more on being with Hannah than anything to do with 'The Constitution'. Someone raised the subject Billy and Joe fought the Boers in South Africa. Joe didn't want to talk about their time spent in South Africa. Nothing between Joe and Billy were ever going to pass their lips of their personal experiences. Each would rather forget their time spent in South Africa. Both their horses remained in South Africa.

All parties readied themselves for their night at the home of The Honourable Joseph Ryan, Esquire, MLA. Billy stayed at George and Gloria's home. Everyone invited to attend. A carriage to take them to the banquet, also deliver them home afterward.
Joe needed to rest before the function so excused himself to his and Hannah's bedroom for solance. His mind remained fixed on his time in South Africa. Will these demons ever leave his conscious mind buried deep down in the dungeon of his memory, he pondered. Exhausted from their journey home Joe soon fell asleep, his dreams signalled a return to South Africa. Breaker Morant with Handcock stood before him at his office. They each looked alive.
'What are you doing here?' Joe asked in a surprised question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: I'LL BE ABSENT UNTIL 9TH JULY 2021.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter