Pat Ritter. Books

An extraordinary writer
ENJOY
:read
  • Author
Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:21 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 34:

‘Better than living in a canvas tent.’ Melinda muttered.
‘Yes, better than our present accommodation. Mel, life’s been tough on you and Ryan but I need to go where the work is. Now I’m appointed Chairman of ‘The Great Artesian Water Basin Committee’ where this new position may lead us, no idea. I’m certain the government might build us a flash house in Cunnamulla in which to live. Honestly, we’re not leaving this area for sometime.’ Todd smiled at Melinda.
Melinda remained silent until her thoughts got the better of her.
‘Todd. Do you think I want to stay out here in this heat flies forever?’ She almost screamed with frustration.
‘Mel, don’t be upset. This latest project has thrown my mind into a spin. What happens if we don’t find water? What if the information about ‘‘The Great Artesian Water Basin’, is a myth? I have no idea what I’m doing? I need your support if nothing else.’ Todd explained angrily.
‘I’m sorry.’ Melinda wrapped her arms around Todd to comfort him. ‘I’m alright living in a tent, for now. Concentrate on the present. Let’s forget about the future. Obviously, someone high in the government understands your potential to make the project work. Look what you’ve done with the railway line from Charleville to Cunnamulla.’ She explained.
‘You’re right. Someone in government must think I’m capable of doing both projects otherwise why should The Honourable Joseph Ryan Esquire MLA send me this letter?’ Todd told Melinda.
‘Reading between the lines when I spoke with Hannah, she mentioned an old boyfriend. What if this old boyfriend is The Honourable Joseph Ryan Esquire MLA?’ Melinda explained.
Todd put his thinking cap on. ‘You may be right Mel. After Nat read the letter his comment sounded strange because he said something about repaying a good deed. At the time, nothing clicked into place. Now I think back, obviously, something must’ve happened between Joe Ryan and Joe Gibson.’ Todd fell silent thinking over his thoughts of the conversation at the hotel between Nat and Joe, particularly the way they looked at one another. ‘Joe didn’t want to make an immediate decision to become a member on the committee until he spoke to Hannah. Nat told him ‘to grow some balls’ which threw Joe a bit. Joe changed his mind instantly to be a member of the committee. Let’s keep this committee thing to ourselves. If every Tom, Dick or Harry finds out about what I’m doing.’ Melinda agreed with a nod of her head.

For this message the author patritter has received thanks:
dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 2032 times

Advertisement

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:46 pm

Thank you dub: Page for today:

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 35:

Finally arriving at the railway camp the sun slowly descended below the horizon. Todd swept his hand across his face in an Australian wave to brush away flies which annoyed him. He stopped the sulky in front of his camp. Ryan ran from a nearby tent. ‘Hi Mom, Dad.’ He stopped beside his father stepping down from the sulky. ‘I’ll help you unharness the horse Dad.’ Ryan said started to unclip the head strap from the horse’s bridle.
‘I’ll go start our dinner. Ryan, did you have a good afternoon playing with Tahlia?’ Melinda said as an afterthought walked toward the tent.
‘Yes Mom. Tahlia and I filled in the afternoon. Her mother cooked us biscuits.’ Ryan told his mother continued to help his father.
After the sulky was put away with the horse placed on the common to graze Todd and Ryan walked to their tent.
‘Wash your hands for dinner both of you.’ Melinda instructed.
By the time they returned to their camp after washing their hands and faces Melinda served their dinner on the makeshift table in front of the tent. ‘Take a seat. Dinner’s ready.’ Melinda tended to prepare a billy of tea.
‘This is delicious.’ Todd expressed in between his mouth filled with food.

dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:07 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' -

‘Something quick because of the lateness. Ryan, after dinner, the dishes cleaned, we want to speak to you about something most important.’ Melinda said with a serious look on her face.
‘Am I in trouble. I behaved myself this afternoon while you attended the funeral.’ Ryan replied in between his mouth filled with food. His voice trembled.
‘No. You’re not in trouble. Why should you ask? Have you done something wrong?’ Melinda asked after serving tea in their pannikins placed each one in front of Todd and Ryan including the place she sat.
‘I thought. That’s all.’ His reply concerned both parents.
‘We want to speak with you about the visit from Mr and Mrs Gibson when they visited last.’ His father replied. ‘Mel, that’s the best feed I’ve had for some time. I must’ve been hungry.’ Todd admonished.
‘I’m not in trouble. Am I?’ Ryan repeated collecting the dishes carried them to the wash dish.
‘No, you’re not in trouble. This is important. After we finish here we’ll sit down bring you up-to-date with what’s happening.’ His father informed him.
After the washing-up completed all three sat around the fire.
‘Ryan, your father has something important to discuss with you.’ Melinda said. ‘What about some apple pie while your father discusses this with you.’ Melinda rose to allow Todd to explain his position.
‘Ryan, along this railway track we’ve been building.’ Todd quietly explained.
‘Yes Dad. You’re the chief engineer of the railways. You built the rail line.’ Ryan’s heart swelled with pride.
‘Along the way you used that thingy-a-bob to find water, you carry around with you, even take the bloody thing to bed.’

dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:35 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' -

‘You mean my water fork?’ Ryan pulled a fork stick from the back pocket of his shorts to show his father.
‘Yes. Now I want to explain something most important you need to understand.’ Ryan nodded. ‘When you used that stick at various stops since leaving Charleville, you always discovered water.’ Todd tried to explain in the best parent voice.
‘Yeah, but Dad I didn’t use the same fork each time. This one I used here because this is where the water is under the ground.’ Ryan tried to explain to his father.
‘Anyway, you’ve proven to me you have a gift for finding water under the ground. Honestly, I have no idea how you have this gift, but is a gift. Are you aware how this works?’ Todd pointed to the fork stick held by Ryan.
‘Easy Dad. I hold the fork of the stick between my thumb and index finger in each hand pointing the fork toward the ground walking wherever the fork takes me. When the fork begins to move. I don’t make the fork move, moves by itself, I stop, the fork moves downward. This tells me water is below the surface.’ Ryan explained. A huge smile flashed across his face. He’s pleased his father asked him these questions.
‘How can you tell?’ Todd queried not totally understanding his son’s explanation.
‘The fork keeps pointing downward, bending in my fingers. Stronger the bend, deeper the water.’ Ryan explained. ‘You remember when I found water here at this camp. The fork didn’t bend much. Water was not deep. You only needed to dig a hole not too deep when water rose to the top of the hole. You remember.’
‘Yes, only a couple of months ago. I believe you. I can’t understand what you are telling me. Obviously works for you. I remember because we only dug a hole a few feet before water filled the hole.’ Todd couldn’t understand how Ryan possessed this gift. Where did this gift come from?

dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:33 pm

Thank you dub: Page for today.

'Tilbaroo Station' -

‘Dad. I can find water?’ Ryan expressed in a convinced voice.
‘I’ve been given the task to establish ‘The Great Artesian Water Basin Committee’ in Cunnamulla and beyond.’ Todd explained with a smile.
‘Dad! This is wonderful news. Congratulations.’ Ryan ran to his father wrapped his arms around his neck, ‘I’m proud of you.’ Ryan released his hold returned to his seat.
‘Thank you Ryan.’ Todd’s expression fell to embarrassment.
‘Dad, I’m proud of what you do. You’re the best.’ Ryan smiled with his beautiful smile showing white teeth with crinkled eyes. Others would kill for a smile like Ryan’s.
‘Don’t put yourself down so quick.’ Melinda butted into their conversation. ‘You’ll work something out. You always do.’
‘Mel, hope this projects works. This is a huge development. I’ve done little research so far my mind shows me an underground sea sits below us filled with water to service this outback. Graziers in this area will have more water than ever before.’ Todd let out a sigh.
‘Dad, you can only do your best. How does this include me?’ Ryan questioned.
‘Mr Gibson and Mr Young are the other members of this committee. I haven’t told you before but you remember the afternoon Mr Gibson and Mrs Gibson came to the camp awhile back?’ Todd explained. Ryan nodded his head. ‘Mr Gibson wanted you to divine for water on Mr Young’s properties. I instantly said ‘No!’’
‘Why would Mr Gibson want me to divine for water?’ Ryan asked.
‘Mrs Gibson told Mr Gibson how you find underground water.’ Todd continued. ‘I told Mr Gibson I didn’t want you exploited.’
‘What’s ex-ploit-ed, or that word you said, mean?’ Ryan asked.
‘Used by other people. You’re only ten years old. You wouldn’t understand. People use other people for different reasons. We didn’t want this to happen to you. Your mother and I agreed you are too young to work with older men to be used for their gain.’ Todd hoped he explained his thoughts clear enough so Ryan would understand.
‘What do you think Mom?’ Ryan asked.
‘I agree with your father. I didn’t want you exploited either. You’re only ten years old. Either of us don’t understand how you can use this forky stick to discover water. We didn’t want you thrown to the wolves.’ Melinda explained in her own words.
‘I don’t understand what both of you are saying. I’ve never seen wolves out here, only dingoes. I’m almost eleven years old. When I’m walking around pointing this fork to the ground my mind lights up with delight when water is below the surface. I’m really excited each time the fork bends. Doesn’t matter how strong I try to pull back on the fork but bends more until almost twists from my hands. I don’t think you need to worry about me plus that word you used. I love finding water.’ Ryan stopped explaining.

dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:01 pm

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 39:

Chapter 6

At the hotel, earlier that day everything came together once Todd explained to Joe and Nat his plans of ‘The Great Artesian Water Basin Committee’. Todd acknowledged three were sufficient members to control these plans deciding to allow Ryan to become diviner in the project. This way he kept an eye on how Ryan progress through the ordeal of working with men; also, harshness of the countryside. Tough on a ten-year-old lad.
‘I haven’t made my mind up yet about becoming a member of this committee Todd.’ Joe expressed. ‘I’ll need to speak with Hannah before I commit myself to the job.’
Nate interjected. ‘Grow some balls Joe. Don’t worry about Hannah. This is far too important a project to not become involved. Do you realise this committee will go down in Australian history? Our names will live on forever?’
Joe took another swallow of his drink thinking about Nat’s words. In the past he never committed himself to anything unless he passed the idea by Hannah first. Nat’s idea of ‘growing balls’ didn’t sit comfortable in his mind. His thoughts; indecision on how he came across with Todd and Nat.
‘Right! I’ll grow some balls. Be on this committee. Like you said Nat our names will go down in Australian history.’ They shook hands. Nat left for more beers.
With three agreeing to form ‘The Great Artesian Water Basin Committee’ they decided to return to Joe’s place to tell their wives of their decision. Swallowing the final beers from their tumblers they bid farewell to Alex walked to Joe’s home.
‘We’re home Hannah.’ Joe called walking up the back stairs into the house. The three women sat around the kitchen table sipping tea chatting.
Joe walked to Hannah kissed her on the cheek. ‘We had a good wake for Ma. I think she would’ve enjoyed her day looking down from above.’ Joe hiccupped.
‘What kept you so long. You couldn’t join us.’ Martha looked directly at Nat. ‘I suppose you all want a cuppa.’
‘Not for us thank you Mrs Young.’ Todd said. ‘We’ll need to return to camp before dark. Pleased to meet you. Look forward to working with you both.’

dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:03 pm

Thank you dub. Here is the page for today:

'Tilbaroo Station' - Page 40:

‘Todd. Call me Martha.’ She said scrapping her chair back to farewell their guests. ‘Melinda, wonderful to meet you. Don’t become a stranger.’ She gave Melinda a kiss on the cheek.
They left.
‘What did Todd mean looking forward to working with you both?’ Hannah asked Joe. She gazed directly at her father.
‘Hannah, we always speak about everything before we make a decision. Todd has asked your father and I to be on ‘The Great Artesian Water Basin Committee’. Now, before you start, I wanted to speak with you first about this BIG decision but your father told me to grow some balls. I agreed to work with them both on this committee. I hope you understand.’ Joe explained, his sheepish look waiting for Hannah’s response.
‘Agree! Of course, I agree. The most important men in my life on the committee to discover water in this outback God forsaken country. You have balls Joe. Don’t let my father tell you otherwise.’ Hannah smiled placed her arms around Joe’s neck kissed him on the lips.
‘We better head off also. I want to be home before dark.’ Nat shook Joe’s hand. ‘Catch up with you at home.’ Both cuddled Hannah and left.
After their guests departed Hannah said to Joe. ‘I’ll make our dinner shortly but first explain this ‘Great Artesian Water Basin Committee’ which you thought you didn’t have the balls to be a part of.’ Hannah placed her hand into Joe’s hand led him to the front veranda where they sat on the swing.
‘Todd received a letter from Joe Ryan who is now a member of Parliament. Joe requested I be on the ‘Great Artesian Water Basin Committee’ headed by Todd.’ Joe explained.
‘What’s this about growing balls.’
‘Your father said those words after I told them I needed to speak with you first. Hannah, I can’t believe how important this is to outback Queensland. Todd has given Ryan permission to be the water diviner.’

dub
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter