An extraordinary writer
ENJOY
:read
  • Author
Re: Pat Ritter. Books

Postby patritter » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:09 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 125:

Chapter 16

Before daylight shone Joe rode his horse across the Warrego River heading toward Eulo. Hannah rose earlier, prepared breakfast and made enough food for Joe to eat on the trip. His mind always on Hannah, he needed to pinch himself to realise she was now his “intended”. May take sometime before I ask her to marry me, I’ve got to straighten out this shearers thing before I do.
By lunchtime he’d arrived at Eulo hitched his horse at the back of the hotel and walked into the bar where he met his friend Joe Gibson. ‘How’re you going, mate?’ Joe Ryan shook his friend’s hand.
‘Plenty going on Joe,’ Joe Gibson answered, handed Joe Ryan a tumbler of beer. ‘Here get this into ya – must be thirsty work riding from Cunnamulla.’
‘How’re things going with the shearer’s union – you heard anything?’ Joe Ryan asked, excitedly.
‘Sure have. How long will it take for you to ride to Bourke?’ Joe Gibson wanted to know.
‘Why?’ Joe Ryan asked.
‘The Australian Shearers’ Union has tens of thousands of members and unionised thousands of sheds across Australia. Been like a bush fire raging through the country. This is what you’ve always wanted. They’re holding an Annual Conference in Bourke in about a week. The talk is prohibiting members from working with non-union members. This is your opportunity Joe, go for it!’
TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK: CLICK HERE: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Have thanks: 2033 times

Advertisement

Postby patritter » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:35 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 126:

‘I can leave immediately, go through Hungerford follow the Paroo River down onto Bourke and should take about three days at the most.’ Joe Ryan smiled, the wheels of thought running wild in his mind. ‘I’ll rest tonight and head off at daylight. Ah, wait a minute – what about my work?’
‘Don’t worry about shearing. I’ll fill in for you while you’re gone. This conference only comes along once and you should be there.’ Joe Gibson encouraged.
‘How can I ever repay you, cobber?’ Joe Ryan asked.
‘I’ll think of something – don’t worry.’ Joe Gibson answered with a smile.
At daylight the next morning Joe Ryan rode toward Hungerford on his journey to Bourke, excited with the knowledge that his idea of helping shearers improve their working conditions and receive better wages would finally bare fruit, his input was very clear.
After three days of continuous riding with a couple of hours break for sleep, he arrived in Bourke. Instead of lodging at a boarding house or hotel he camped on the banks of the Darling River with other shearers until they joined their comrades at the conference.
Joe was one of many among the hundreds who attended. First to speak was William Spence, his words explaining the working conditions shearers suffered. William Spence then drew his trump card shouting to the members to join the ‘Shearers’ Union’ in their State, encouraging their fellow shearers to join. ‘Together we’ll fight for better working conditions, together we’ll fight for better wages!’ he spruiked to these new believers.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:04 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 127:

Hearing these words infused with enthusiasm William Spence displayed, a determination grew in Joe’s mind to fight for his fellow shearers. Little did he realise at this moment, events leading from this conference would shape Australian history in more ways than he could’ve ever imagined. A rule created at the conference agreed by all parties: ‘Union members would not work beside non-union members’.
Joe returned to Queensland a proud man, filled with ambition and zeal to accomplish his dream. Over the next year wherever Joe worked he encouraged his shearing mates to join ‘Queensland Shearers Union’ which was formed in Blackall the previous year. Within twelve months, Queensland boasted three thousand, two hundred and seventy-one members. Joe’s mate, Joe Gibson declined to join the ‘Queensland Shearers Union’ on the grounds he wanted his independence.
‘Why won’t you join us?’ Joe Ryan constantly asked his friend.
‘I want to work where I want; when I want; and not told by others what I can do.’ His independence always came before any compromise.
By 1891 wool became Australia’s largest industry. Shearers wanted better working conditions and wages; cockies created personal wealth far beyond their dreams from wool sales. They needed shearers to shear the wool from the sheep but weren’t prepared to share their wealth. There was no compromise. Joe Ryan couldn’t believe how many of his fellow shearers joined the union whilst others declined for their own personal reasons particularly when told union members wouldn’t work beside non-union members.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:05 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 128:

The straw which broke the camel’s back came when shearers at Jondaryan Station on the Darling Downs in Queensland went on strike on the 5th January 1891 over this issue. A spark ignited this debate and before long a raging fire between shearers and cockies engulfed the State of Queensland. At Logan Downs Station, in central Queensland, Manager Charles Fairbain wanted shearers to sign a contract to reduce the power of the union.
Shearers immediately went on strike until their demands were met. The strike started and quickly spread; striking shearers formed armed camps outside of towns. Civil war broke out in Queensland with thousands of armed soldiers protecting non-union shearers and arresting strike leaders. Unionists retaliated by raiding shearing sheds, some burnt to the ground, harassing non-union shearers to stop them from reaching the shearing sheds.
Barcaldine in central Queensland became State Headquarters for union leaders. On 1st May 1891 the first march by unionists with one thousand three hundred and forty men took part to show their solidarity; the leaders wore blue slashes.
Joe abided by the union bush telegraph, gathered his fellow union members and built a camp on the outskirts of Cunnamulla with instructions to stay put until the strike was resolved one way or the other. Hundreds of shearers supported Joe, except his friend Joe Gibson.
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:02 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 129:

They lived in makeshift tent-like camps scattered across a wide area. Hannah attempted many times to reach the camp to speak with Joe, however her presents weren’t allowed. Joe would fight to the end without giving in. Food, cold weather and nothing to do but sit around their fires became an issue among striking shearers. Shearers couldn’t hold out because the summer was unseasonably wet and the strike poorly timed for maximum affect. Something had to give.
Joe’s presence within the Cunnamulla camp kept others from deserting to return to their homes. By end of May, hungry penniless shearers had had enough. Many wanted to give up. Joe did his best to encourage his fellow strikers to continue their fight but alas in the end he too could see the writing on the wall.
On the final morning when Joe Ryan gathered his fellow strikers to speak with them, Joe Gibson met him at his tent. ‘Joe, I know you’ve done your best, but it’s time to give up mate.’ He’d seen how his friend fought for his fellow shearers since the strike began. ‘The police are coming to arrest you.’
Joe Ryan, now a weaker person with a full length beard, felt his shoulders sag beneath the weigh of his failure. ‘When are they coming?’ he asked his friend.
‘This morning. I heard in town they’ve been instructed to arrest you, break up the camp and send everyone home.’ Joe Gibson explained.
‘I suppose I deserve this.’ He dropped his head. ‘I honestly thought I would make a difference.’
‘I’ve got an idea,’ Joe Gibson answered with a twinkle in his eye.
‘What?’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:49 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 130:

‘You and I are almost identical size in height and weight. Here, change into my clothes and you give me your clothes.’ They each changed into one another’s clothes. ‘Here is my non-union contract to shear, my personal documents and everything else you need to know about me. I won’t want these where I’m going.’ Joe Gibson handed his life to Joe Ryan.
‘What are you saying Joe?’ Joe Ryan’s mouth fell open.
‘From this moment on you are Joe Gibson and I am Joe Ryan. You go and marry your girl and keep her happy. Do this for me Joe.’ He pleaded.
‘Why – why are you doing this? You must know what’s going to happen when you’re arrested as me.’
‘You’ve got more to live for than I have. Here, give me your hat and stay here until after I leave. I’ll take your horse.’ Joe wrapped his arms around his cobber and whispered in his ear. ‘Thanks mate – someday I promise to repay you for what you’re about to do.’
Joe Ryan (previously Joe Gibson) left the tent, saddled the horse and climbed aboard. Constable Fitzgerald met him when he was leaving the camp, ‘Joe Ryan, you’re under arrest.’
They left the camp together.
After the ruckus ended Joe Gibson (previously Joe Ryan) walked to Ma’s Guest House and stood near the back stairs.
‘Who are you?’ Ma shouted holding her shotgun under her arm aimed at the intruder.
‘Joe, Ma.’ Joe shouted. ‘Where’s Hannah? It’s me Joe!’
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

Postby patritter » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:54 pm

'The Shearer' - Page 131:

Hannah walked from inside to stand beside Ma.
‘You’re not my Joe! He didn’t dress like you. He didn’t have a beard and hat. Who are you?’ Ma pointed the barrel of the gun directly at the intruder.
‘Hannah, you must remember who I am. I gave you my ring to show my love for you.’ Joe said.
Hannah looked at the stranger, dressed in a neat pair of trousers, wearing a different hat to Joe always worn, ‘if you are Joe. What were the words you told me when you gave me your ring?’
‘‘Hannah, before you go I want you to wear my ring around your neck to show the world you’re mine.’ Joe muttered.
Hannah raced down the steps and wrapped her hands around Joe’s neck and kissed him.

About the Author
Pat Ritter lives on a property at Brooloo in Queensland Australia.
‘The Shearer’ is his fourteenth novel.
How this novel came to mind is a story within itself. Pat’s great grandfather is Joe Ryan, a shearer from Cunnamulla situation on the Warrego River in far south-western Queensland. His grandmother, Joe’s daughter, was a huge influence in Pat’s life when he was a child. His grandmother shared her stories about living in far western Queensland fighting the heat and flies.
One of the many stories she shared with Pat was about her father and how he became involved in ‘The Great Shearers Strike of 1891’. Her stories influenced Pat with his storytelling of the country where his ancestors were born and bred.
One of his grandmother’s stories alarmed his curiosity so much he needed proof to know the truth. His grandmother told him a story of when she was ten years old, living in Cunnamulla her mother died giving birth to her youngest sister Nellie. Her father Joe Ryan couldn’t take on the responsibility of raising five children, so according to family antidotes, he gave his children away to the townsfolk of Cunnamulla like a ‘little of pups’. Nellie went with a relative to Warwick a town far away from Cunnamulla. Pat’s grandmother never saw her youngest sister Nellie again.
Over the years of Pat’s writing career he wrote a story about his grandmother and posted it onto his website under stories. In January 2011, he received an e-mail from a person who claimed to be Nellie’s eldest daughter. Pat and Jan have kept in touch ever since their connection after ninety-nine years of separation.
Jan explained to Pat she knew about her mother being adopted and for forty years tried in vain to find her lost relatives. After she read Pat’s story on his website she realise her dream had came true. As they say in the classics, the rest is history.
THIS IS THE FINAL PAGE OF 'THE SHEARER'. HOPE YOU HAVE ENJOYED READING A PAGE DAILY. IF YOU WANT TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK: CLICK ONTO THIS LINK: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/395642. SPECIAL NOTICE: I'LL BE ABSENT FOR THREE DAYS (ANOTHER HOLIDAY). ON MY RETURN BE CERTAIN TO CONTINUE READING A PAGE IN THIS GROUP. THE NEXT BOOK IS THE FOLLOW-ON FROM 'THE SHEARER'. READ WHAT HAPPENS TO JOE RYAN (previously GIBSON).
patritter
mzawfer
mzawfer

PreviousNext

Return to The Author, Pat Ritter